Waste Of Space

“I told you it was a bloody absurd idea!” I yell at Nathan as warm tears slide down my cheeks. “I knew we shouldn’t have come without a plan!” I continue as a hiccup interrupts me.

“Rosie, you have to calm down first.” His lips twitch into a small smile but I know the panic and tension he is hiding behind it. “There are 10 people on this spaceship. We can all work together to come up with a way to fly back to the Space Center.”

Just when I was about to nod, Katlyn comes running to us in the cockpit. “The spaceship is broken! We have to immediately put on our suits!” The spaceship breaks into chaos. Every one of the 10 people on board, including the pilot start moving around to grab their spacesuits.

“Rosie,” Nathan shakes me by my shoulders to bring me back to reality from the fierce scenarios that were occurring in my head. Scenarios where the cold and dangerous radiation of the space is swallowing us up. I nod because I am not stable enough to speak right now. He leans in and places a kiss on my lips. He makes the kiss firm, clean and tight as if this is the last time he will be able to kiss me. I feel warm moisture collide on my face and I pull away gently to find Nathan crying. “And I promise, I will try to make everything right.” He says with a quivering voice.

“Hey,” I cup his cheeks and force him to look into my eyes. “We will make it out alive.” I say as if I am trying to convince myself more. He nods and we quickly put on our spacesuits.

“Katlyn, look who is trying to protect herself.” I hear Nina’s voice snickering at me.

“Guys, stop.” Nathan points his finger at the girls.

“Your stupid girlfriend is the reason why we are in this situation up in space today.”

“I am losing control.” The pilot interrupts the conversation and we all turn to look at him. “The spaceship will crash any moment. Start getting of this craft, quick!” He yells as another chaos swallows the silence in the spaceship.

Everyone including the pilot starts rushing towards the emergency door and I lose Nathan’s hand in the crowd. Everyone starts jumping off the spaceship. “Hold on missy,” Nina’s voice stops me at the door. Gravity is lost already and we are both flying in the air. However, she is safely outside and I am still inside the spaceship. “Remember how you were always one step ahead of me at school, looks and with Nathan? Now, you will be one step behind me sweetheart. After all, you are a waste of space.” With an evil smile, Nina shuts the door on my face leaving me inside the spaceship.

Suddenly, the spaceship bumps into something with a thud.

Maybe there’s nothing for me here. Maybe I am a waste of space.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!