A Close Call

I saw him first in the dim light of the bar - tall, slim, slightly hunched, with a stained coat and old hat – out of the corner of my eyes. I finished my whisky and strode outside, casually glancing behind. The man stood up, keeping to the shadows. Eyes on me. I hurried on, walking via the port rather than straight to the house. Still in the shadows. I lost him at the fish market and made my way home.
After work, I ate ravenously at my usual restaurant. Glancing to my left, I saw a somewhat familiar figure. Slightly hunched. Old hat. I walked nervously out the door, veering right and expecting to be followed.
Left, right, left, straight, and always aware of the man behind me. I wondered what he wanted, and fought an instinct to turn around and ask. Was he an assassin? I sped towards the fish markets, a place I had once called home. This time, I wasn’t so lucky as to weave my way out. Hurrying through a well-known street, I rushed into my building, locked the door, and peered out the window. The doorbell rang and a note slid through. On the page were three capitals, scrawled hurriedly, fear-inducing - ‘KKK’. I packed my bags and hurried to some old lodgings.
When I reached Bromley I looked around at the familiar houses. No one would find me here. No stained coats and no old hats. A gun bumping inside my jacket, I turned my collar up against the wind and walked until I reached No. 23, D’Arcy Place, the light still shining, indicating activity. I entered and immediately climbed the stairs to my private room. Inside it was well looked after, freshly dusted. I barred the windows and waited into the night, only moving to ring the servant’s bell for food. The Ku Klux Klan always came at night.
I knew why they wanted to kill me. I am an activist for American slaves and had had an article published exposing important Klan members. This was going to be dangerous.
Later, I realised how miraculous the event was, but at the time I was only trying to make it through. I could hear the creak of the floorboards as a figure crept toward my room. I hid behind the door, but it smashed open and bullets flew everywhere, some missing me by inches. I glanced at my body. Why wasn’t I dead? I looked up to see a terrified man eyeing the gun in complete awe. He had completely missed me, and had emptied the magazine. I grabbed the poker at the fireplace and struck him twice in the side. “And don’t come back!” I yelled as he scampered away.
I never saw the KKK again. They disbanded only days later, and I live a happy life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!