A Woman Is Like A Tea Bag




In early 2002, Gayle Shann had an accident at her cattle station which changed her life. While digging fence post holes with her husband, Mac, her glove got caught in the post hole digger’s shaft and the machine pulled her in. This left Gayle without a right arm and unable to use her left.
Gayle says the support she received from her family members was the main reason she felt encouraged to stay strong and carry on. Without Mac, it would have been very difficult to live where they do and go to the things they love, like campdrafts. The other source of Gayle’s inspiration is her love for horses and cattle.
“Both Mac’s family and mine have been there for us every step of the way. We had such tremendous support and love while I was in hospital, which a lot of people would not have.”
Gayle says she feels very lucky and blessed to have all this support, as she saw people in hospital and rehabilitation that didn’t have any family around them and it was evident how hard the whole recovery process was for them.
She says the fact that Mac took on the role as her carer means everything to her. It meant they could stay living at their rural property ‘Cantaur Park’ and not have to move closer to town for help. It also meant they could get on with their lives as normally as possible and continue doing the things they love.
Gayle now does more than she ever imagined she might be able to. When she returned from hospital the first time, she couldn’t imagine her situation ever getting better, but it did. She and Mac worked out how to do things more easily and efficiently.
“We have a routine so we can make everything work more quickly,” Gayle explains. “It means we have to get up a fair bit earlier than everyone else to get ready, because it all takes time. We have got it fairly down pat now.”
Gayle does all the office and book work for the family business. She has a modified four wheel motor bike that she drives. She is also able to drive all the unmodified vehicles around the property with her feet.
Mac welded foot handles on the slides in the cattle yard, so she can help bring calves up into the cradle, or cows and bulls into the vet crush.
“It’s surprising what you can do when you either don’t have any choice or you just really want to do something,” she explains.
Gayle loves to say:
“A woman is like a teabag. It’s not until you put her in hot water, that you know how strong she is”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!