Darkest Hour

Before it happened it was mostly quiet, besides the whispered conversations between and the leaves rustling against the half open window. The afternoon sun was shining into eyes but it didn't seem to matter, partly because I was reading my favourite novel - "Summer's Dream" - for the 14th time. Mrs Bern, the substitute teacher didn't seem to mind the whispers or even my best friend Veronica, who was finger tapping the table for no reason.
It was a free period at the time and I'm pretty sure everyone was just doing whatever they wanted to and not taking the opportunity to study.
It had been a decent day, Veronica and I got our biology tests back and we both scored a pretty good mark.
"Heather?" Mrs Bern asked.
"Yes?" I replied as I pushed my hair back behind my ears.
"Do you think you could go to the main office and pick me up my book bag? I forgot to get it last period,"
"Okay,"
As I made my way out of the classroom, I pulled out my phone. At the time it was already 2:30. All I wanted to do was read for the rest of the day, not do stupid errands for substitutes.
Suddenly, a loud bang filled my ears. I stopped in my tracks and glanced around the halls.
"Maybe it was just my imagination." I had thought.
"Heather did you hear that?" Someone asks from behind me.
It was Drew Roberts, otherwise known as the star of the school football team. Pretty much every single girl in my year had liked him at one time or another - except me.
"Yeah, I thought I was imagining it."
"Sounded like a gun," I gulped and looked around again.
Then another bang goes off, followed by screams then the school emergency alarm.
"That's the emergency alarm," Drew exclaims.
"I know," I swallowed hard. "What do we do!?" He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the boys bathroom.
"Now what?!" I'm panicking big time by this point and having trouble breathing.
"Hey, it's okay," Drew wraps his arms around my shaking body and squeezes me quickly. "We're going to be fine okay?" I slowly nod as he lets go. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

Don't worry, we did get out alive. Turns out their was no gunman, really it was a suspicious explosion in the cafeteria with the oven and a dumb freshman pulled the alarm to freak people out as a joke. As funny as it was, he got suspended for 2 weeks. Everyone was so worried about Drew and I during the time everyone thought there was actually a real gunman.
During the time we were 'in lockdown' Drew and I shared our deepest of secrets, I don't know if he'd tell anyone mine, but I do know that I'm thankful for what happened that day. Even though if that meant spilling my guts to a guy I've only just started talking to...

{word count 500}

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!