Darkness

“That’s it; you’re not going to the movies. You’re staying home,” my Father thundered.

“Alright,” I mumbled.

It was Friday night and about 3 seconds ago I was going to the movies tomorrow. But now I am staying home by myself.

It’s Saturday night and Mum, Dad and Emma have just gone to the movies. So here I am, home alone. Suddenly I heard a creaking noise. That was strange because our house is new and shouldn’t be creaking. I switched on the TV to drown out the creaking. But all that was on was a horror movie. I switched the TV off!

Then the kitchen light switched on. Then off, on, off, on, off, on.

“Who’s th-there?” I stammered.

Nobody replied. The light just kept switching on, off, on, off.

Then the doorbell rang!

“Coming,” I yelled. Then I opened the door, but there was no one there.

“Hello,” I called into the night, but there was no reply. Suddenly a bat flew in into the house.

“AHHHHHH,” I screamed as the bat tore at my hair.

“Out…Out!” I yelled and it flew out of an open window.

Then the light that was still flashing on, off, on, off turned off completely! I walked over to turn it on (tumbling into a chair as I went), but it didn’t work.

“That’s funny,” I thought, “I didn’t see anyone fixing the electricity lines on the street”.

Suddenly the creaking noise stopped and it was replaced with a low howl.

“Werewolves,” I though.

It was the first thing that came to my head.

“You’re being silly,” I told myself. “You’re over-reacting”.

I decided to go to bed. I walked up the stairs to my bedroom and I heard a noise like a tap running.
DRIP…DRIP…DRIP…DRIP…

I tried to ignore it, but it just got louder. I tried really hard to get to sleep! I finally dozed off and I had a dream.

In the dream I got out of bed, walked down the stairs and walked out the door. I jumped down dingo-like I wanted go back and hop into bed under the warm blankets but I couldn’t control myself I saw a fox it had a white spot under its eye suddenly I felt hungry for a taste of blood I lunged for the fox sinking my teeth into its flesh.

I woke up drenched in sweat. It was morning and I opened the closet to find some clothes. There was none in there. Instead there was a dead fox’s body hanging limply from a coat hanger it had a white patch under its eye.

Then I remembered that Mum, Dad and Emma were home.

“Mum,” my voice echoed through the house.

There was no reply. Then the doorbell rang I tried to act like it was normal…probably just the Sunday morning post. But I couldn’t get the picture of the fox’s body out of my head. I slowly opened the floor and let out a petrified SCREAM….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!