False Pretences

There were still eleven and a half minutes before the bell would ring, deeming lunch over – a sufficient amount of time to save a life. I like to think of myself as a person of fair and just judgement, so when I heard that one of our teachers, Mr Greggs was being questioned by the principal for ‘inappropriate conduct’ or whatnot; naturally, I felt the need to step in. It wasn’t that I particularly liked Mr Greggs or anything; in fact, I used to harbour a colossal feeling of animosity towards him after he said that Chris Evans reminded him of a mouse. But bitterness aside, I considered him an above average teacher; I mean I always got an ‘A’ grade in his classes. I glanced at the time again, ten minutes remaining. I flicked my hair back and drank some water before heading off. I decided I’d save a life today.

I began weaving through the sudden parade of students that seemed to appear for the sole purpose of serving as obstacles, when I heard my name called out. I swivelled my head round, the sun momentarily blinding me, to hear the faint sound of Jared Hanger’s voice. I didn’t really catch it all, there was something about a bird, but there was barely any time to spare, so I just yelled out an ‘okay’ in his general direction and kept running. As the people dispersed, the rhythmic slap of my shoes against the concrete spun my thoughts around my insignificant brain. What was it Hanger had said? All I had heard was something along the lines of Mr Greggs being suspended for giving a student a bird. Why on earth that would be considered even remotely inappropriate, I hadn’t the slightest. In my humble opinion, a pet bird would have been a fine idea. Shrugging off the unfair pretences Mr Greggs was being charged upon, I ran to the administrative block, pushing the ‘pull’ door for what felt like the seventieth time in my three years at the school. Successfully opening the door, I almost slammed into Mr Greggs himself.

“Oh, sorry sir.”

He but merely grunted and huffed away. I must have come too late, even though we had five minutes of lunch time left. I caught sight of the principal and ran up to him in desperation.

“Mr Matthews, you can’t sack Mr Greggs, honestly I don’t understand what’s so wrong about what he did.”

Mr Matthews looked down at me and chortled. He actually chortled.

“Alex, do you know why I called Mr Greggs for a chat?”

“Uh, Jared said something about giving someone a bird? But what’s the problem sir? I personally love birds.”

He chuckled some more, “Perhaps Mr Hanger wasn’t clear enough, or perhaps you Alex, are not quite up to speed with the teenage slang.”

I realised he was discreetly tapping his middle fingers together.

He grinned at me as it slowly dawned on my insignificant brain.

“Oh dear.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!