Daemon Complex

Kael peered over the edge. It was dark. An empty, foreboding blackness was all that he could see. The pit seemed to go on forever. Looking around, he noticed that the walls extended high to an invisible ceiling. The space made him feel uneasy. As his eyes wandered in the direction that he had just come, he noticed that the chamber had sealed behind him. He would have to find another way out. As his eyes began to adjust to the darkness Kael turned to his right and began to walk along the edge of the pit. It was a perfect circle, he could detect no flaws in its curve. Odd, he thought, the stone from which the chamber was made showed no signs of tool work. There were no seams between the floor and walls, and no cracks in the stone. It was perfect, as if the entire structure had been flawlessly carved from one gargantuan monolith.

By the time Kael had made it halfway around the pit he sensed the air growing colder. He could see his breath in front of his face. He wondered if this was natural, or if the temperature was decreasing in reaction to his presence. Still walking he came across a small pillar standing on the edge of the pit. Its flat top stood no higher than his waist and was featureless apart from a small symbol in the centre. As he approached he noticed that the symbol was vaguely hand-shaped. After inspecting the pillar he decided that it could be his way out. Nothing ventured…

Kael lifted his hand to the symbol, trying to mimic the handprint shape depicted on the stone. The moment he made contact he felt a great weight fall on him. He couldn't take his hand off the pillar, he couldn't move at all. He was paralysed. Points of light started to appear in his vision, blinding him. He was suddenly somewhere else. It was strange, he could still feel the inexplicable paralysis but the chill of the chamber was gone. He could hear nothing. Apparitions quickly came and went. Images of a city, then a forest. It was as if he was travelling back in time. Then he saw it. He saw those who built the pit, and why.

Waking from his vision with a start, Kael’s body had been freed from its trance. His relief was fleeting, as he heard an unholy sound echo throughout the chamber. Moments later, the origin of the unholy wail revealed itself. Rising slowly out of the depths of the pit, an obelisk, two gigantic hands nailed to it. It was as if the thing had been crucified onto its own tombstone. The ascent halted and he stood face-to-face with the monstrosity. Its pale face hung limply. Its body was withered and gaunt. Kael watched as it began twitching profusely. It’s Waking. It looked up at him, its empty black eyes fixed on his. It almost looked like it was… Smiling.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!