Magic Soccer

The stadium was filled with passionate supporters overlooking a lush green pitch. The crowd was silenced by a booming voice on the loudspeaker. “Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for the English and Australian National Magic Soccer teams!” The crowd cheered and applauded. Two teams of eleven, standing in the middle of the pitch, shook hands and went off to their respective field positions.

The referee blew his whistle to commence play. A player from the Australian team flicked the ball up with his feet and kept the ball levitating with a spell. He then muttered another spell. Momentarily, the ball drifted towards the ground in a slow freefall before rocketing into the air from another kick. Because of the spell the player had put on the ball, it went very far. The striker ran towards the opposition’s goal to receive the ball and hopefully score. Two defenders from England were in deep pursuit trying to steal the ball off the striker by performing a tackle. The next few seconds were just pure magic.

A defender stuck his leg out attempting to steal the ball off the striker. However, the striker flicked the ball over the defender’s head, hurdled over the defender’s leg and immediately started running super-fast towards the goal. As he approached the 18-yard box, the striker got out his wand, losing a little bit of speed, and performed a spell making the ball glow a fluorescent shade of azure, almost resembling a blue comet. He then kicked the ball and sent it rocketing towards the top left corner of the goal. The crowd was spellbound…the Aussie fans hoping that the ball would go into the back of the net and the English fans hoping that their goalkeeper would save it. However, the sequence of play went England’s way. The keeper dived to catch the ball, clutching it tightly to his chest before landing on the ground, sprawled out, the ball safe in his hands. The keeper’s gloves had a special spell on them which allowed him to catch balls not going at normal speeds! After all, this was Magic Soccer! The English team and fans cheered for their keeper with shouts of pride and satisfaction.

Play went on with no goals scored and finally the referee blew his whistle, signalling full time. Because the scores were level at 0-0, there would be a penalty shootout. In the penalty shootout, players were not allowed to use magic. Finally, it came down to the last spot kick. Australia had been saving the best for last. The scores were 4-4 and England had missed their last shot. If Australia scored now, they would win. The most skilful Australian striker came up to take the shot. The crowd hushed in anticipation as the player started his run-up. He shot an almighty thunderbolt. The keeper’s reaction was too slow as he helplessly watched the ball sail over the line. The crowd erupted! The Australians had won!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!