Heart For Two

“Did you ask for these flowers Young Master?” The nurse came in holding a bouquet of flowers, roses to be exact.
“You can give them to me, it’s for another patient.” He suddenly got up and was smiling from head to toe.
“You shouldn’t be out of your bed sir, the doctor has forbidden you from getting out of this room.”
“I’m 20 years old now, I can look after myself. It’ been 10 years since I've stayed in this hospital so I know what I have to do.” Before the nurse could rebut, he was already out the door and walking down the hallway to the elevator.
After landing on the designated floor, he speed walked to her room. He knocked before he opened the door, he always followed the gentleman’s code.
He gave a soft smile, before sitting down on the seat next to her bed, and took her hand in his.
“I brought flowers for you. I know that you have never favoured flowers but I know you’ll like these.” A tear rolled down his smiling face. *Why am I getting better when you’re getting worse?* He thought. Suddenly, the door sprung open, causing him to wipe the tear trail on his cheek.
“Sir? You have to leave now, it’s time for Miss Ariyah’s heart transplant.” He nodded and left the flowers on the bed side table and left.
--
Ariyah woke up to sound of the heart monitor. *Am I still alive?* She turned around and came face to face with the familiar white room. She turned to the bed side table and found a bouquet of flowers. She smiled and thought of how nostalgic this moment was. Waking up to a bouquet of flowers. But this time she felt different. The flowers were always a bouquet of 8 roses, but there were about 20 in one.
She got startled when the sound of the door opened and a nurse came in.
“Oh, you are awake? That’s great to hear.” The nurse put down the tray of food on the bed side table and checked her heart monitor. *How long have I been sleeping for?*
“2! You've been sleeping for 2 days.” The nurse suddenly read her mind before leaving.
She took the bouquet of flowers and placed them on her lap. She looked cautiously at every flower before finding a letter hidden inside the flowers. She took them out to read. She opened it, nervous and afraid.
Dear Ariyah,
Hope you won’t be disheartened because this is my last bouquet for you!
From the guy whose heart is now yours,
Flower Boy
She looked around, hoping to see him but nothing. The nurse came in again and was getting ready to feed Ariyah her food.
“Who was also in the heart transplant? Has he passed away?” She already knew the answer but still hoped. The nurse didn't answer but looked at the flowers. She placed her hand on his or now her beating heart. *No!*

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!