The Hamburger Feast

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

‘On your marks, get set...GO!!!!!’ Screeches my younger sister. I stuff my mouth with the nearest hamburger. The warm beef mixed with onion, rolls across my parched tongue. ‘Come on! You can do it!’ Howls Jacqueline, looking at the stop-watch. ‘2 minutes to go! Hurry!'
Hi there, I’m Joshua and I’m ten years old. My little sister is Jacqueline. I entered this hamburger feast because of the prize: an I-pad Air and extra $500!! Plus, I got dared, so I kind of have to do it, like it or not. Second place you’ll receive $350 and third place is $200. The competition is only 2 days away so, to get first prize, you’ll need to practice, right?
Anyway, here I am bulking down hamburgers. ‘Come on!’ Urges my little sister, ‘You want to win this, don’t you?’ ‘Ov coursh!’ I say with my mouth full. ‘How did you even get into this?’ questions Jacqueline. I swallow and whisper ‘My friends dared me.’ ‘What?’ She cried. “I know, dumb right?’ Jacqueline nods eagerly.
***
Beeep! Beeep! ‘This traffic is horrendous!’ cries Dad as we inched to the Hamburger Feast. ‘Arhhhh! We’re NEVER going to get there in time!!’ I say as my stomach lurches. ‘Maybe,’ my little sister said ‘You should just back out?’ I stare at her in astonishment. Aren’t sisters supposed to be supportive? ‘Never!’ I shot back ‘Plus, didn’t I tell you that if I lose, I’ll have to wear my teddy pyjamas to school?’ ‘Nope!’ says Jacqueline, chuckling. Finally we get there!
Every contestant, but me, looks muscly enough to eat a dinosaur. When I sit down, I feel like an ant compared to the others. Someone’s whispering and laughing as he points to me. ‘Ladies and gentlemen, may we present the competitors of the 2056 annual Hamburger Feast!!!’ Screams the host into the microphone. The crowd goes wild!! I have to cover my ears. I can still hear the racket as loud as a stampede of Tyrannosaurus Rex!
‘Are you ready!!’ Shrieks the host. A roar came from the competitors. ‘Alright then, on your marks... get set.... GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the competitors leaped into the burgers like they were starving to death! All the burgers had Red Chilli and Pepper Sauce. I took a bite and managed to swallow. But on the second bite, I had to spit it out. Boy was my tongue on fire! It was as if I was eating a ball of lava. I look at all the other competitors in shock. Every single one of them, were lying back on the chairs.
‘Congratulations mister!’ Announced the host, grabbing my sweaty hand, pulling it toward the sky and then turned to the audience. ‘We have a winner!!’ Everyone claps and cheers. As I collect my prize, I see my friends and call to them ‘Hey! Guess I’m not the one who’s going to wear PJ’s!!’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!