Heart

The wind howled through the dark night. Long wavy grass bent against its will as it was thrown from side to side by great gusts of wind. Although the grass still stood on its roots, it was yellow, dry and very old. It was dead, for no living thing could survive on this desolate plain. The majority of the area was barren waste, excepting a little shack and its accompanying pine trees. Made of rocks collected from the plain and a straw roof, it was hardly a suitable shelter for anyone to live in, anywhere. But this was not the only structure built on this plain.
Dominating the centre of this vast expanse, was a ring of stones. Huge and demanding, they reached up to ten metres high. They were shaped like no other stones you could find. Each one twisted and spiralled up into the jet black sky where no stars shone. No illuminating light that would show quite how high the rocks were when they reached their razor sharp point. No illuminating light to show a small figure, hunched over an old knobbly walking stick and shuffling along in knee high boots. He wore a cloak of thick bear skin dyed black to blend in with the night. His pants, almost invisible, were what looked like oil skin, though it was impossible to tell.
As the mysterious man hobbled into the ring of stones you could tell he was getting more and more excited, there was a new spring in his step and his hunched back wasn’t so bent over. As he reached the centre of the circle, he pulled out a parcel from inside his cloak. He hurriedly started to unwrap it, as if his birthday present was contained inside. When he’d completely unwrapped it his hands were shaking uncontrollably, nearly dropping the cardboard box that he held within his hands. As he lifted off the lid of the box, a strange light shone out through where the lid had been. With his trembling fingers, he reached into it and pulled out an amulet. This was not a mere ordinary amulet, it was an amulet of great power. It was studded with endless amounts of jewels, all shining with such great force that you would have to look away or be blinded for life. As the old man put it on, another great power was stirring, so awesome in strength. The old man was aware of this, sensing it like a disgusting odour. A reek of power. The man started fumbling with the amulet, as if he wanted some hidden power to be activated. Suddenly there was an enormous flash of light, lighting up the plain from one end to the other. A screaming howl followed as this great power realised that its prey was gone where it couldn’t reach. A piece of lone cloth was the only sign of what had passed that spot on that cold winter night….a night of questions.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!