Shearing Time

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

It was winter time at Wagga Wagga Station, which meant we had to muster the sheep for shearing.
Dad and I were behind a large mob of sheep in the Nannatharra paddock slowly pushing them along, when suddenly a ewe and her lamb ran off and raced up the brothers to hide. Dad shouted at me to chase after it, so I revved up my motorbike and took off quickly after the ewe. I dodged round ant hills and weaved through the bushes to follow her up to the brothers.
The brothers are very rocky and steep with massive boulders all over them, so I took my time, dropped down in to second gear and carefully went up the hill.
Under my tyres the loose rocks crunched. It made my bike slip and I fell hard onto my knee. It hurt so much, it throbbed and it made me cry, but I wanted to be brave, so I picked up my bike and got back on it because I had a job to do!
I pushed down hard on the kick start and revved my bike up again. The engine roared back on and I turned back to where the ewe had ran. I saw her hiding behind a dead mulga tree, so I rode out wide and revved my bike up to scare her. The engine made a loud whining noise which spooked the ewe and she quickly raced down the brothers and pushed her way back into the mob with her lamb not far behind her.
I followed her back down making sure that I didn’t slip again and rode back next to dad. He looked down at me and smiled and told me that I had done a great job. I felt so proud!
Hours later we finally made it back to the yards. I was hot and tired and everything hurt from sitting on my motorbike for so long, but I had a great time helping my dad. We gave the sheep one last push through the yards and up into the shearing shed where the shearers were waiting.
I could smell the lanolin from the sheep’s wool and could hear the clickety clack of the shearers clippers as they took the fleece off the sheep’s body. I walked past all the piles of wool that needed to be pressed in to bales and out of the shed back to my motorbike. I climbed on for the last time and headed slowly back down to the house for something to eat.
All I could think about is that I had to do this all again tomorrow!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!