Ecko

As the freezing cold rain soaks my thick golden coat, I feel regret rise up through my shivering hungry body; but what choice did I have? It feels like I have been sitting in this tiny dark alleyway for at least 3 hours. My paws ache from walking around aimlessly for hours upon hours a day. It feels like I have been out in this harsh and unforgiving environment for months, but I think that it has only been around 2 weeks. My tummy has rumbled for days, and to think that only a short while ago I was cuddled; loved by someone; respected at least as a dog. But no, that life is now gone; there was no way of stopping it, nothing that I could do.
My name is Ecko. I am a golden retriever and I used to have a thick luscious coat, but now it is covered in many layers of mud and dirt. It is tangled and ratty with thousands of burrs. My family? All gone, they have been missing for several days. They went out leaving me at home, But my beloved family never returned. When the neighbours opened the front door to check on us, I bolted. I regret it now. I fear for the worst, I wish I had stayed put.
My family was the most important thing in my life (along with food). My vivacious young girl I would do anything for her and her exuberant younger brother. I got my sensational name because of one of my annoying puppy habits. After anyone would speak I would try to bark out what they said. Those are the old days I miss.
Now everything is different; I must have been lucky with my previous owners. Any human who I have approached has either yelled at me, thrown things at me, laughed at me or tried to kick me. I no longer trust them, what is there left for me? I might as well just lie down in this alleyway and go to sleep.
The blackness dances in front of my eyes for the first minute or so. But then out of the darkness emerges faint pictures of my past owners. My tail gives the slightest wag as I remember when my boy secretly gave me a chunk of succulent roast chicken under the bench, the way he looked at me, the few seconds of understanding.
A persistent but gentle shake of my shoulders brings me back to consciousness. My eyes slowly open, all I can see is a blur of grey, black, pink and white. When they finally focus I am startled to find myself staring into the beautiful, big, brown eyes of a young girl. I consider bolting, but something stops me. I don't know what it is but those eyes, they remind me of my past owner's.
"Daddy! The poor thing, he looks so scared. Can we keep him please Daddy. Daddy? I promise I'll take care of him."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!