Knowledge Is Power

Sophie, was a “bookworm” girl, who was starting her first day at school. You see, up until school she did nothing but read. Read all day, read all night. Read…Read…Read…..
When Sophie arrived at the school, she decided to see what was in her classroom. There were blackboards, desks, displays and her most favourite thing, a reading area! She set herself a challenge to read every single book in the classroom. Then, not long after, her challenge was complete, as she had read all 103 books, and her knowledge of all things interesting (and not so interesting) had continued to grow.
With no further books to read, she tried to make some friends. As she walked up nervously to a girl in her class, instead of asking her whether she would like to be her friend and play with her, her nerves got the better of her and instead she talked to her about the books she had read. In fact, she started to bore her about all of the books she had read and what had happened within them. After a short while the girl walked away, so instead Sophie decided to talk to another girl instead. Unfortunately, that didn’t go well either, as the 2nd girl thought she would not have any books left in the class for her to read herself, without knowing the ending!
Sophie was beginning to feel left out as she had talked to everyone in her class and no-one wanted to know. She felt different to the others because they all had friends and she didn’t. She started to think about who she could turn to.
Returning home one afternoon from school her brother, William, asked her what was wrong as she seemed quiet, which was most unlike her. With a little persistence from William, she finally opened up to him and told him that she didn’t seem to have any friends at school, which was making her unhappy.
William listened and suggested that she plays with him instead. Sophie thought this was a kind gesture but she knew William was far too young to play with her, as he hadn’t even started school yet!
The following morning Sophie noticed on the breakfast cereal box there was a general knowledge competition and so she decided to enter it.
She sent in her answers and waited. To try and make some friends she had mentioned to her class that she had entered the competition but no-one seemed to show any interest.
On the closing date, she had forgotten all about the competition. So it was a big surprise to her when she found out that she had won. The prize was a trip for her and a friend to go to London.
She told her class about winning and then all of a sudden it appeared that she had lots of friends! She knew they were only interested in the trip and in the end she decided to take her brother instead, as she remembered his kind gesture, even at 3 years of age!
Little brothers can be your friend after all. Sophie made friends in her class, but always remembered William’s kindness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!