Garlic Cabbage


I sit in Mum’s ever growing garden, waiting endlessly for something to happen.

Hi I’m Timothy, Wondering how I got here? Welllllllll it isn’t a very pleasant story.

It began at my Grandma Thud’s house. Usually she’s the one going ‘thud’ but this time it was me.
I had tripped over the garden hose that was winding through Grandma’s prized plants.


Grandma viewed her pots scattered on the verandah and said that I should have respect and treat her plants with care. She said that I had to grow my own plant and she would be around tomorrow to see that I had started.

With no experience, I rushed home panicking and found mum sitting in the living room. “What is it?” she asked as I tried to catch my breath. ‘How do you plant a flower Mum?” ‘There are seeds in the pantry, you can use those if you wish. “




I grabbed the first ones I saw and ran to our garden, dug a tiny hole and threw in the funny looking seeds into the soil. I watched and waited endlessly for something to happen,

It began to grow dark outside. I was hoping for a big plant to prove Grandma Thud wrong. (Sigh) With my head hanging low, I went inside for the night.






The next morning at 8:00am, I was waiting for the doorbell to ring, when in a blink of an eye, a weird plant popped up where I had planted the seeds, It smelled strongly of garlic but looked like a cabbage.

Just then the doorbell rang and Grandma Thud came into the backyard.
“Timothy where have you planted the seeds?” I proudly showed her the strange plant that had spouted in an instant.





She was astounded and said “Timothy, That’s a Garlic Cabbage? No one has seen a Garlic Cabbage in one hundred years.” Why don’t you enter it in this evening’s Farmer’s Food Festival?”

After saying goodbye to Grandma, I proudly walked back into the house. ‘Crash!’ the sound of smashing glass splits my ears. I rushed outside to view pot plants scattered all over the backyard with mother face down, a hose winding around her ankle.



It was in that instant that I found out two things;- where I got my clumsiness from and that my unique Garlic Cabbage had vanished from the garden…”Noooooo!”

After helping Mum up, panic was about to set in. What if I can’t find the Garlic Cabbage to enter it in the competition?

Rushing into the house, I saw that Mum had placed the Garlic Cabbage on the table. Looking at my watch, I grabbed the plant and jumped on my sister’s bike, (I didn’t have time to look for my bike.) and rode to the festival.


After entering my plant in the competition, I waited painstakingly for 30 minutes. The winner was finally announced,
“The winner of the rarest plant in history goes to - Timothy Thud!”
‘I won!” I screamed with joy.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!