Sam's New Dog

“When can we get a dog?” Sam moaned for about the millionth time.
“Well, it’s your birthday in two weeks, you might have to wait and see.” Mum replied.
“But I want a dog, right here, right now!” Sam said angrily.
“Well, what did mum just say?” Sarah, Sam’s sister said sarcastically.
“Be quiet, I’m going to my room!” Then with that, he stormed off into his room, down the hallway.
“Gee, he needs to calm his farm.”
“Dad!” Sarah cried as he entered the living room.
“Hello sweetheart,” he said whilst giving her a kiss. “Where‘s Sam?”
“Don’t disturb him, he’s a in a bad mood.” Sarah said.



The following week, Sam was increasingly excited that it was closer to his birthday. He was so excited he was jumping around the house for ages, in the kitchen, the living room, all the bedrooms, even outside!
After a while, mum finally told him to stop.
“Calm down, its seven days away.”
“I can’t, the happiness has taken over me,” he declared as a joke.
“Nonsense,” Sarah started, “Why don’t you not-quite-nine-year-old come outside and play with me?”
“Fine.” He groaned. Then, as they walked out into the yard Sam started to talk about his birthday.
“I wonder what I’m going to get for my birthday.”



They were in their five acres of green, lush, grass for about an hour or two playing all kinds of sport, and since the family was rich, they could play soccer, basketball, swimming, running and tennis! Then, as they were playing tennis, a dog ran out of the bushes nearby.
“Look!” Sam exclaimed “A dog! Let’s chase it and see where it goes.”
So they started to chase the dog. The same thought was in each of their mind’s, where was it going to? Sam and Sarah chased it for about 5 minutes until the dog started to come to a stop.
“Hang on, what’s it doing?” Sarah queried.
“It’s limping.” Sam gasped.
“Let’s help it… if we can.” Sarah stated.
So they walked over to it. They had been running for so long that they were now half way down the street. They had been running fast, so had the dog.


“It’s sprained a paw.” The vet finally said in a sad tone as she came out of the examination room.
“We’ll have to keep it here for medication, anyway, thank you for bringing her h-” the vet didn’t get to finish because Sam interrupted her.
“Can we keep it, can we?”
Dad shot Sam a devil like glare.
“Sorry.” He muttered.
Despite Sam’s rudeness, she continued,
“It’s all right, you can keep the dog, but you have to put her on a special medicine, and by the way, it’s a girl.”
“Thank you so much, we will take good care of her! Sam said so excited that his head might explode!
“Don’t forget Sam, but this is your birthday present.” Mum explained.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!