Headphones

"Just please don't do anything stupid." I said, as my twin bolted for my bike. I didn't even get a response before the engine roared to life. I watched as Corey rode off before footsteps could be heard from behind me.
"Laylah? What’s going on?" Jake asked, not even a second after I heard the screech of a car, and a loud thump. Before I could answer Jake, I was running towards the sound, my feet making quick work in my heels. When I finally found the crash site, I screamed, running faster towards the body of my brother that was currently on the ground, blood pouring from his head, part of my handle bar lodged in his chest. I could make out the shallow, rapid breaths that he was making and let a small breath out as I began to panic, the blood everywhere. The driver hopped out of his vehicle and gasped, freaking out.
"JAKE!" I screamed, the blood from my brother’s head, oozing out. Corey tried to sit up and I pushed him back down, stroking his hair. "Shh, just, shh. You’re going to be alright." I cooed, as I continued to stroke his hair.
"Lay..." He began and I put a finger over his lips, silencing him.
"You'll be alright Corey. You can tell me soon. I promise." I said, trying not to cry.
"Laylah! Shit!" Jake yelled, retrieving his phone as I looked back. He dialled '911' and waited. I turned back to Corey.
"Just stay still. Everything's going to be okay." I said, his breathing growing more quick.
"Lay, I... I... I need...ap... olo...gise...you... Ella..." He whispered a few tears brimming his eyes as his breaths started to slow. I hushed him quietly, resisting the urge to cry.
"You can apologise to her yourself Corz. You’re going to be alright remember." I said, trying to convince myself that if I said it enough times he would live. Soon enough the sirens were heard and the flashing lights could be seen reflecting off the bricks of the buildings down the road. Corey looked up to the sky and smiled a little bit.
Walking did nothing as I continued, step after tedious step. I thought of Corey's laugh, his smile. The time he first invited Ella over. My thoughts kept replaying memories of Corey as though I knew he was already lost.
My steps quickened as I panicked more. The more I thought, the more I panicked. And the more I panicked, the more I walked. Eventually I walked right into a familiar chest and the tears flew from my eyes at an incredible rate. The small bit of comfort doing the world for my never ending sadness. "Shh, it's okay Laylah."
"Laylah?" I heard someone call. I spun around to the doors of the theatre and my hopes rose until there was a frown on the nurse’s face.
"Yes. That's me." I said, Liam holding onto me.
"I have some bad news."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!