I Waited

I had waited.

I had waited for the wonderful day when he would finally arrive. I had waited for days, weeks, months, years, just for him.

I had planted the seed that would one day grow into a proud, strong tree. And I waited.

I had planted a garden in preparation. I filled the garden with wattle, eucalyptus, correa and other dense native shrubs. I pruned the garden, tended to the flowers and I waited.

I watched the seed sprout and emerge through the surface of the soil. And I waited.

I watched the little sapling grow and mature into a beautiful young tree. And I waited for him.

I watched the tree grow and bloom into delicate and luscious blossoms, filling me with hope. And I waited.

I waited through the buzzing warmth of summer, the vivid colour of autumn, the cool serenity of winter and the vibrant flourish of spring. And I waited.

I watched the tree turn from green to orange, drop its leaves and grow them back again. I cared for that single tree with all my heart. And I waited.

Three years had passed and I was beginning to think he would never come. I was beginning to think he would never choose my garden as his home. I gazed out at that lovely garden before me and decided I wasn’t going to give up on him, not yet. So I waited.

I worked hard in the garden, filled with hope. Still, I waited.

I woke and saw the sunlight drifting in gold shimmers through the window. I looked out and there he was, a beautiful Blue Wren, drifting through the branches like a wisp of smoke, bluer than the clearest sky.

So I watched him.

He landed on the largest bough of that very tree I had planted three years ago, pivoting on needle-like legs, standing proud as a symbol of hope. And I watched him.

I watched him find a partner. I watched him help her collect sticks, twigs, feathers and mud to build a nest. I watched them dancing in the orange light of sunset. I watched them dipping and diving in the dull light.

I watched their lives and they watched mine.

Then one magical day the most wonderful thing happened and I watched her. I watched her lay her tiny eggs in that warm, cosy nest they had built.

And I waited.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!