Obstacles

As I stand at the start line waiting for my race to begin, all I can think about is how I came to be here. One year ago I couldn’t care less about running or winning or even trying, but I will always remember what Grandma told me as she took her last breathe and spoke her final words.

“Molly, tell me that however hard life gets, you’ll always remember that you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or you can let it strengthen you.”

As those last words left her frail lips, I felt them strengthen me and knew no matter how hard things got, I had to never give up the fight for what I wanted.

I have always known I have a special talent for running and Grandma’s words resonated within me. I knew then and there that I had to get my act together and start training hard. I was so determined to make my mum proud, especially after everything she has gone through with dad and this was one way to show him how far we have come without him.

It all comes down to this moment. I have trained for the past year and now I am ready to show my competitors what I’m made off.

“In lane four we have Molly Patterson all the way from Sydney!” I could hear the marshal introduce me but I am totally focused on the 100 meters in front of me.

I have thought about this moment a lot during the past year. When I run my heart feels like it stops and that’s why I love it because no matter how hard life may be, I can stop for 12 seconds and think; truly think.

“On your marks!”

I am not ready.

“Get set!”

The gun goes off and I have never been more determined in my life. The sound of the gun makes my heart stop like I knew it would. As I take my first step I can feel the power. Each stride stronger than the next and I feel the desire take me over.

I know I am a lot faster than most of the girls in my race so if I just keep my focus and do it like practice, I’ll be fine. I have overcome every obstacle in my way this year and this is the last hurdle before I can go to nationals. All I need to do is be strong. I am coming third when I start to think more and more about Grandma…

And with that thought, I overtake the girl in front of me, knowing now there’s only one winner and that will be me.

I accelerate my legs each stride closer to the finish, until the girl in front of me trips on her own foot. I feel bad for her knowing she would have worked as hard as me. But I know that one day she have her moment to shine.

The finish is within reach, my heart begins to beat normally again. If I have realised anything it is that we may have endless obstacles in our way, some big, some small. They may stop us from being who we truly are, stop us from the ones we love and stop us from doing what’s right. But I now know that it doesn’t matter what the obstacles are but how we find the strength to overcome them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!