Talking Animals

One upon a time, there was a girl named Ellie. She was a girl loved by all who set eyes on her. Her blonde, wavy hair shimmered in the sun and her sky-blue eyes twinkled with excitement. She was always happy and never blue. One day Ellie was playing with her pet rabbit, Cloudy when suddenly a little sparrow flew on her shoulder. Most people would be terribly frightened in this situation but Ellie was overjoyed. She loved meeting different animals and enjoyed taking care of them. Ellie could tell, though, that this lovely sparrow was different. It was chirping in a strange pattern. Cloudy started to twitch her nose. Obviously, Cloudy could understand the sparrow but Ellie could not. Cloudy started jumping up and down while twitching her nose and shaking her tail. “Um. It’s hungry? It wants me to fly? I don’t know! Cloudy, just tell me!” shouted Ellie. Cloudy shook her creamy head, looking disappointed. Cloudy opened her mouth and started to talk. “Hello Ellie, nice to meet you!” squeaked Cloudy. Ellie’s jaw dropped open in surprise. “Seriously, Cloudy! That’s not the way to start a conversation! Oh, I’m terribly sorry, Ellie! Let me introduce us formally. My name is Red Sparrow and this is Cloudy, as you know!” chirped Red Sparrow. Ellie’s blue eyes were twinkling again and she did a little curtsy. “Well Red Sparrow, Cloudy, I’m very pleased to make your acquaintance! My name is Ellie!” Ellie was very happy that she could carry a conversation with animals. “I’m very sorry to stop this lovely moment but Ellie, you need to come with me, quickly!” tweeted Red Sparrow, a hint of urgency in his voice. “OK, but why?” Ellie shouted as she ran after Red Sparrow. “You need to come because you know how to speak to animals and our animal doctor has disappeared and there is a long line of animals waiting to be healed. It’s urgent!” squeaked Cloudy, hopping along behind them. “Well, I haven’t had much experience but I’ll try.” sighed Ellie with excitement. Soon enough, they had reached a little grove. It was filled with scented flowers and shrubs. It was a heavenly place and Ellie fell in love with it immediately. Her grin faded when she saw the long line of animals waiting for her help. Most were hurt and crying and Ellie felt like crying herself. “OK, who’s first?” said Ellie, confidently. A little fawn limped up and gave Ellie a small, painful smile, “Me. A hunter shot me in the leg and I can’t walk that well.” Ellie took a deep breath and bandaged up the fawn’s leg. The other animal’s injuries included a flightless bird and a rabbit who had lost its baby. After all the animals had been checked and treated, Ellie was tired. Suddenly, a car zoomed in to the grove. Out hopped an owl who looked sick. It was the doctor who had been sick himself. Ellie was so happy she grinned.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!