Viven

“WELCOME TO THE ADRDL GUYS.” Drake says stating the obvious, standing in front of the fallen ‘ADRDL’ sign, surrounded by an overgrown park and street filled with cars. As the sun set for the day, its light barely illuminates the open door. There is only one thing left to do. “Let’s go.” I say, surprisingly calm in spite of the pounding of my blood in my ears and my heart, beating like a drum.
We take out our torches and set off into the unknown.
As soon as we enter, we know this is going to be a short trip. Both doors either side of an over-turned reception desk is barricaded with sofas, chairs and bookshelves collecting dust. As I scrutinized the room, I see a flash of metal and see a camera on the ground. While walking towards it, the smell of decay grew prominent. As I approach, a decomposing body sits behind the camera, complete with a shredded lab coat, dusty glasses, brown pants a faded name tag; too far gone to read, and a pistol and a used bullet lying at his feet.
Never stood a chance I think as I retrieve the camera from the floor, I see the display glow, still on with its dim light.
“This could be interesting.” Niomi says swiping it from my hand and opening its library of videos, playing the first clip opening with an American, black haired, glasses and 2 days’ worth of a subtle.
Dad.
“To whoever finds this video, I owe you an apology for what may happen in the foreseeable future.” He rubs his glass with a cloth. “Due to my bosses and associates, we are about to release a heinous virus I call ‘Mortuus Viventes’ aka ‘Viven virus’”. I hear a short gasp and receive a stare from Niomi. “But this not entirely their fault however,” he says with a stern look on his face. “Due to my research, I conclude that if we mess with this new virus, it will end of life as we know it. If you are hearing this then I was right, and on behalf of my associates, I’m sorry.”
The alarms, gunshots, screams and moans suddenly filling the background bathing with a red light. “I knew this was going to happen, but not this quickly.” He mutters to himself as he loads a gun, exactly like the one I saw before.
No, please not him.
“I just have a few more things to say before I sign off for the last time. One, this disease is basically a mix of Rabies, Necrosis and Dysarthria. Two, this disease has all the strengths, and weaknesses of its counterparts.” He says with sadness in his voice but a smile tugging on his face.
He points the gun at his head. “Finally, if you see my son, please tell him I love him, his name is Jacob Wilson.” He says with a tear streaking down his face.
No.
Then, he pulls the trigger.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!