Never Forgotten

Hot tears run down my cold face as I sit in a hospital waiting room. I can't stop thinking. What happened? How could I possibly be sitting here? Dad said Mum would be fine and that hopefully by next week, we would be be home. My heart’s thumping. This is supposed to be the best birthday. I weep in despair. My Aunt Clara walks into the hospital. I run to her. “ May. Oh May. I’m so sorry. It’s getting late darl,” she whispers, as we hug.
I walk out with her. Her soft, pretty eyes flicker in the moonlight as the tears crawl down her soft, beautiful face. We go home and get into my bed.
I wake with a jolt. Memories are feeding my brain with despair. More tears overflow onto my cheeks. My grey cardigan is being used as a tissue. I grab some shoes and go to the fridge to get the milk. Aunt Clara finishes in the bathroom and hugs me.
“Do you want to open your presents?” she asks.
I nod and open the card. It says:

My dear May,
I’m so sorry I have not been well and that my absence has ruined your special day. I don’t have much more time in my life and I want you to know that you are my love and that Daddy and Aunt Clara will look after you. I love you so much and I will always cherish you with all my love. Please don’t give up on life just because I’m not there.
Love Love From Mummy

I can’t stop crying. I just can’t breath. I hand the card to Aunt Clara. She starts crying.
“Oh May,” she sobs “Do you want to go to the hospital to say goodbye to Mummy?” she asks.
We get into the car and go to the hospital. Aunt Clara talks with a lady at the reception and I sit down. After a while, Aunt Clara comes over and takes me down to a room.
She sighs, “Now May. We can’t stay long because they are going to do an operation.”
I nod sadly. Aunt Clara knocks on a door. I run to Mummy and hug her.
“May, my darling May. I am going in for an operation. Hopefully I will see you again,” she exclaims, “But if I don’t make it through the operation, this will be goodbye.”
“No Mummy,” I cry, “I can’t lose you!”
Everything is too hard.
"May, you can't give up on everything, because I am always still here in your heart."
We cry for what seems like ages. Some people come in and drag me out. I scream.
"I love you May. I love you forever!" I hear her say.
After that I don’t remember much. Things start racing after waiting in the hospital after my mother’s operation. Her funeral was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I will never forget that day of saying goodbye. I will never forget. Never.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!