The Australian Locker

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

You'd think one would get used to switching schools by the fifth time. Yet as I stood inside, eyes plastered on the locker before me, I braced myself for what I faced at every school - the decoration of the Australian Locker.
There were pictures of kangaroos and koalas and snakes and spiders. In the middle of it all was a poster with the words 'Welcome to London, Mate!' I cringed and unlocked my locker, jumping back when a long black object fell out onto the floor. Bending down I picked it up by the 'tail' and threw it to the small crowd watching me.
"Toy snake, very funny."
A few grinned while others stepped back from the toy, cautious as if it could come alive. One smiling boy stepped forward, eyeing the pictures carefully.
"Hello and welcome, mate!" he said, enthusiasm dripping from his voice. I forced myself not to laugh and instead replied, mustering as much joy as I could.
"Thanks mate!" He took my sarcastic joy sincerely and looked to the locker.
"Did ye like it?" A fake Australian accent came out of his mouth and I pretended to cough to hide a smile.
"It looks just like me old one," I replied, nodding approvingly at the metal box. "Me name’s Matilda."
"My name’s Jack." His British accent finally made an appearance and he waved to the locker again. "Is it true?" Jack said quickly, as if this was a million dollar question. "Do you really wrestle crocs?"
"Sure do! Every Saturday in the creek round the corner, there's heaps."
"What about drop bears?" His eyes darted around nervously. "Do they really... Exist?"
"Yep. There are as many drop bears back home as there be swans here."
"Woah, so cool," he said, twisting around to the crowd that had followed us. "Did you all here that! She wrestles crocs!" A sudden flush of red filled my face and I stepped forward to stop him.
"Actually-"
"And the drop bears, they be real!"
"I was just-"
"And she rode a kangaroo to school!"
"I never said that!" I shouted, the strings keeping me calm snapping. "AUSTRALIANS DON'T DO ANY OF THOSE THINGS!" My voice echoed against the walls and I immediately felt sick.
"What?" asked Jack, a slight hurt look on his face, "You lied?"
"Joked," I said, trying to think of a reasonable excuse. "That's something we Australians really do." His face softened and I let out a relieved breath.
"At least you didn't get violent like the last one," he whispered with a chuckle.
Just then, our teacher walked up to the door and let us inside. As I walked past, she tapped my shoulder with her bony finger and pulled me aside.
"Matilda, I assume?" she asked.
"Yes." She smiled at me with her glittering grey eyes.
"G'day mate."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!