Feathers

Feathers
Nathan McArdle
A true story
This is a true story about a bird, a bird and a 6 year old boy who was travelling around Australia with his mother and her boyfriend.
This boy loved nature, and his name was James, or at least that’s what we’ll call him for the time being.
This boy once was walking in the brush, when he heard something.
He heard a bird, a little chirp from a few metres away.
So James being ever so curious decided to follow the chirping noise, as any little boy would.
He followed the chirping noise to the bottom of a rather large oak tree, and there lied a bird.
A small bird, so beautiful that it made the cold day warm up.
However the bird would not fly.
So James picked up the bird.
He felt the tiny beat of its heart and the softness of its feathers.
James loved the bird, he loved it more than anything in this world.
So James cradled the bird back to camp where he showed his mum, Louise.
Louise was also shocked by its warm feeling and its beautiful body, but she was also shocked that such a tiny critter hadn’t tried to fly away.
So Louise asked James if he could show her where he found it.
James agreed and retraced his steps back to the oak tree.
Louise looked around, trying to find a nest, however she could not see one.
So James asked if maybe they should leave it back were they found the bird.
Louise thought it was a good idea and told James to put it back down.
However James had another idea and instead he just opened his hands flat, and said something to the bird.
“Thank you for coming to visit me, you can now leave,” James whispered to the bird.
Then suddenly the little bird flew, he flew around James head and then flew up to the tall and solitary oak tree.
There the bird sat on a tree and then sang.
The notes composed the most beautiful tune, James and Louise were mesmerised.
Louise was rather confused, confused but James just smiled.
“Just came for a visit,” James said, and with that said James walked back to the camp, leaving his mother staring at the tree.
From that day on James did not see that bird, but he remembered it, as it was one of his happiest memories of travelling Australia.
But as I told you this was a true story, and the boy was not called James.
His real name was Nathan, Nathan McArdle.
And this is my story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!