A Moment Of Silence

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition


We all like to think we know how we would react in a life-threatening situation. Take being bitten by a poisonous snake for example. It’s easy to say that in the case of snakebite you would be able to remain calm, maintain a steady heart rate and cut the poison off at the source. It isn’t until you are actually bitten that you begin to panic. Taking a deep breath, staying still and waiting for help is surprisingly no longer a priority, and your instinct to survive begins to run wild.
That’s how I felt when my car drove off the bridge that night.

I loathed this song. I had been driving for almost two hours, and it had been played on the radio seven times. I sighed and struck the off button with a forceful push. I sighed again, this time with relief. I can’t remember the last time I was in complete silence. As a child, I hated silence. In fact, I feared it. Going to bed at night was a constant struggle, as I knew it meant once the lights were out I was completely alone with my thoughts. If I wanted to break the silence, it had to be me who broke it. I was even labelled as a ‘problematic child’ during my early years of schooling simply because I could never be still during quiet time.

Reminiscing about my childhood was short lived, as the obnoxious sound of my phone began to echo in my head like a haunting cry for help. Keeping one hand on the wheel, I looked down to inspect who it was. I flicked my eyes at the road then back down at my phone. It was my boss. The sound of my ringtone forced me to squeeze my eyes shut in frustration. I looked back at the road. Only, it wasn’t road anymore. My car was plummeting over the side of the bridge.

As I forcefully hit the water, the car began to sink instantly and I began to panic. I had watched a video when first going for my license. It was a detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to get out of a sinking car. I repeatedly tapped at my forehead as I desperately tried to remember the steps. Nothing. My instincts told me to scream, thrush and bash on the window. The water began to rise like an hourglass; constantly reminding me that time was running out. The water was now at my jawline. I stretched my neck up but my seatbelt glued me to my seat. The water was rising fast. Before I knew it, I was completely submerged.

It was completely silent, and I had never felt so peaceful. My hair floated around me like seaweed drifting in the current. I closed my eyes. I sighed. Bubbles floated out of my mouth and darted to the surface like escaping convicts with no time to waste. I closed my eyes. I loved the silence.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!