Darkness.

Darkness, that's the first thing i saw when i woke up from my short nap. I check the time "it's only 2:36, why is it so dark for?" I run downstairs to see my mother watching the news and my brother lighting candles. "Mom? what's going on? why is it so dark?" she sighed and patted a spot on the couch next to her as if saying that she wanted me to sit down, I walked over and sat next to her. "Watch the news honey" she whispered, the news started and my brother, Avi sat on the floor. "Good afternoon America! we don't usually broadcast this early in the afternoon but we have a worldwide emergency right as I speak, as you know there is no sunlight and it's only 2:40 in the afternoon, the reason for this is that Mercury is currently overlapping the Sun, this is the first time that this has happened in the history of our Solar System, so we need you to st-" the news broadcast was suddenly turned off. "What the heck?" my brother whispered, "It's ok Avi, it was just the electricity, let's just get some blankets and rug up" my Mom said happily, "Okay I will work on lunch" I chirped, I walked over to the kitchen and opened the fridge, all the food inside was getting rotten, without the electricity. I opened the pantry and took out: a box full of crackers, some cereal and some bottled water, I threw the items on the couch, "RING RING" it was my phone, I run upstairs and answer the call, it was my best friend Ari! "Hey Ari what's up?" I heard a muffled sound for a couple of seconds and then she finally spoke "Kylie! You need to get......out". Wow, the overlapping must be so bad that the phone lines are not working that good, "Get out of where? I'm perfectly safe in my home, are you okay?" I heared lots of screams coming through her phone, "Aliens, Kylie! ALIENS!" her phone hanged up, "What the heck?" I run downstairs to check on my family. "Mom! Ari called me and she sai-", I was interrupted by the shaking of the floor, was it an earthquake? We ran outside to see what was going on, outside there was heaps of people, they were all wondering what was going on. Avi ran outside and screamed, "Look Mom! it's a shooting star!" everyone looked at the shooting star, but this star was different it was coming closer and closer towards us. "GET INSIDE!" one man screamed, all the people outside scattered trying to get into there homes, as I was running I looked behind me, this was not a shooting star, but it was some weird floating ship. I just stood there, looking at it, and then my Mom pulled me inside.

Darkness, that's the first thing I saw after the aliens attacked, I was buried in a mountain of rubble, but my survival story is for another day.

~The End, Written By Flynn Lambeth~

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!