Komodo

Trees collapse around me. I am scurrying, trying to find shelter. My tail gets caught under a fallen tree. I claw my way out successfully, only to see a tree coming towards me.
I wake up in my cave and let out a deep breath of relief, knowing that no trees have fallen. This all began when the hairless apes arrived with their sharp, spinning claws, destroying trees like earthquakes. They’re at the other side of the island for now but slowly approaching. Luckily the whole island is on a slope; I stay up on the high end, as do most of the animals.
My stomach growls, reminding me to feed. Climbing the mountain, I stop near a hot spring, looking down on the rest of the island. I crawl into some bushes, watching a brown buffalo drinking water. I am waiting for the moment to strike…
Seeing my chance, I lash out. My claws dig in as it drags me across the ground. I make contact, ripping out a chunk of tender flesh. The buffalo falls to the ground. Blood stains the dirt. I dig in, celebrating my victory. All that is left is a dead body with half eaten flesh and organs hanging out.
Then I see it; hundreds of stumps and in the middle, a hair-less ape. He spots me. He picks up his spinning claws and chases me. I break into a run, not daring to look back. The sound of the spinning claws get louder, but I can’t keep this up for much longer. With all my energy I sprint into nearby a bush.
He runs past with his spinning claws. As he turns his back I knock him down! The spinning claw lands on him, spraying blood everywhere. He is wounded but far from dead. I think I am safe, but the hair-less ape gains speed and chases me into a hole. Closing my eyes waiting for it all to end.
Everything shakes. Trees start collapsing around me. The hair-less ape runs for cover, giving me a chance to escape. I run to my cave but a rock crashes down, blocking the entry. I run up the mountain, dodging trees and searching for cover. I reach the spring and watch as the hair-less ape climbs up the mountain with his silver claw. He reaches the top near the spring. The ground beneath him slips away, creating a massive cliff, yet he still aims at me. He throws the silver claw, cutting a deep hole in my body. Blood oozes out as I scream in pain. I run to where the ape is hanging and smash the ground, letting the spring water gush out.
The water flows through the island, taking down anything in its path. Trees get washed away and even better the hairless-apes’ camp! I lie down with all my wounds and blood gushing out and as I close my eyes for the final time, knowing I’ve made a difference in this world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!