Camp Diaster

I watched intently as Jenny piled her backpack on top of mine, in the car. Rain was pattering down incessantly but that wasn't stopping us from going camping!
"Are you done Kristie?", I yelled.
Kristie was the fashion princess out of us three and she always managed to be the opposite of punctual. She arrived a short while later, four pink bags in hand, attempting to shield her straightened hair with one of them.

Camp Jillaga was situated in an isolated forest with no hope for mobile network. It was my idea to go bush for a while and since adventuring with friends were my passion, I dragged Jenny and Kristie in with me.
The rain was easing into a slow drizzle now, as I parked the car in a crimson shaded pathway. There were sharp rocks scattered around here and there, with prominent green trees dotted around the humid landscape. I remembered when I used to come here with Dad. We would tell each other eerie campfire stories and then roast marshmallows at midnight.
"Aahhh!", screamed Kristie.
Dazed about the commotion, I went over to see the conflict arising.
"Calm down Kristie. It's okay. We can go without brushing our teeth for three days... ."
Jenny was trying her sheer hardest to make Kristie relaxed but I on the other hand, was trying to keep my emotions at bay. Sometimes that girl could be annoying. And she was getting on top of my nerves now.
We meandered around the bush for a while, having fun observing the flora diversity Camp Jillaga had to offer. There was a waterfall too, with pristine blue water flowing rapidly; it merged into a small pond.
After an hour or so, we decided to head back to our campsite.
"Okay Kristie, get out the tent so Jenny and I can start putting it up. You're in charge of dinner for tonight.". I turned around to my backpack when Kristie started to stutter something.
"Umm...well I thought you guys were in charge of the tent?", replied Jenny, very red in the face.
The response made me horrified, and I spontaneously had the urge to strangle her. Luckily, Jenny came to the rescue.
"Ok calm down, we'll think of something. Meanwhile let's get the food cooked. I'm starving!"
"Ohh I forgot to tell you guys; I needed room for my hair straightener so I kinda chucked all the meat and bread out..."
"DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE?", I cut off Kristie's words, oblivious to everyone's stunned reaction.
"No, but Em, we can always get some..."
I didn't care what she said at that moment. She was the most air-headed girl I had ever come across.
"Sure, let's just drop by in Coles and get a pack of sausages!", I mocked Kristie in pure sarcasm.
As to make things even worse, rain stormed down on us all instantaneously.
I picked up the black umbrella I had brought along and turned to Jenny.
"Let's go...".

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!