Visions Of The Future.

I walk through the halls of the Human Storage Facility, everyday examining the bodies that lay here. As a human life manager I must make sure they live. Millions of them, all relying on me. Though their physical bodies lay dormant their minds are active in their new home, everyone's new home. As their minds roam a vastly populated world where earth's population now dwells, my body walks the empty halls of the building that created it.

The average human lived about to 60 years, but that was on earth. In the server, a person can stay alive for about 300 years; Our oldest person lived to 325. My existence is of the atmost importance to everyone's existence. I am required to spend 15 days in a month resting in the server. This works to preserve my physical body and is a means to talk to people and have human contact. There is another person that works here at the facility but I barely get to see him because we are awake at different times. I look back to the years of my youth with fond memories.

The first 12 years of a human life is spent in the Server Educational System. The reason it is that age is because the human brain develops the neurons needed for the server to be compatible at this age. My first 12 years was spent studying how to work with people. My body was put through far less radiocative bombardment then everyone else because my life would be spent outside the server. When my friends entered the server, I was left to be trained by the former human life manager. When I turned eighteen I had to begin work immediately. I still envy the feeling of belonging I had when in the presence of real humans.

In the server I like to visit the libraries and read up history about this planet we once called home. I read about the struggles over land and the conflict to protect the planet from harm. It fascinates me that such a driving force of culture and harmony now only serves as a platform for a new world. There is this great mass that once sheltered great people, but now just floats aimlessly in space. Our history, only a faded memory.

Next year I will begin my six years of teaching for the next life manager. When I leave this life and enter the next I will spend my time learning about our planet, our home. My only regret is that I didn't make a difference. It is too late for that now. I am 92 years old nd have spent my life working alone, but I know that the next human life manager will not be alone. When he enters the server I want to be what no human has been for centuries, family. My life may not have meant much but I only aspire to make the next one mean something to the world.

THE END
By Jesse Masino. 16 years old. 18 Cambridge Way, Bundoora, VIC, 3083. Year 11. Northside Christian College.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!