Dark Mistake

The things that lurk in the dark behind every shadow, have a wanting for you, and you know there’s no escape.
Yet, every minute I run and hide, the more it gains on me. It always seems to be a step ahead of me. But then I think…
‘Why do I run? The darkness has already consumed me’
So as I sit here, I know the darkness is near and I know I can’t stop it. It’s nearly here and I don’t know how to let go of it. I need to protect them from me, and the things I can and possibly will do to them in the future.
So I have made the decision to sacrifice myself, to protect them. No matter how much it will hurt me to know that I will never see my loved ones again.
The loved ones that thought I was a perfect young girl, who got exceptional grades, did well in all sports and had many friends and companions. But they’re wrong.
And because of my doings, I must pay the price and let the darkness take me. Take me far away and never let me return.
For their safety.
My heart beat quickened as I saw that the time had nearly come and as the hand struck 9, all the lights started to flicker and my room had become an icy chamber. So cold that I could see my breath. The glass doors of my bedroom opened and the cold wind of evil entered my room, as my curtains flew in the sudden wild wind, bringing a feral odor of death in.
A dark, black cloaked figure as tall as a lamp post floated into my room, and my breath became shaky. Tears welled in my eyes and I knew it was time.
The cloaked figure extended its hand and a dead corpse of flesh was shown, asking for my hand. A voice boomed through the walls of my room and it sounded like nothing I had ever heard before.
“Take my hand and I will lead you to the Underworld” the in-human voice filled my ears.
My tears were uncontrollable and my nose was running with liquids. I brought my shaky hands up to my face and made an attempt to wipe it away. I nodded and took hold of the boney flesh.
Suddenly, I was floating with the figure and my hair was rising up in all directions. I felt a lightness upon me.
With one last look back at my home, the demon took me away with it and a gush of wind had overcome me, and before I knew it…I was plunging into the darkness, never to be seen again. But as we fall into nothing, the cloth covering the figures face flies off into the wind I am horrified to see what is behind it.
My reflection…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!