A Fierce Wind

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

The boy huddled in the corner. Wind was howling through the window. He was cold and lonely. As he sat, the windows turned to ice. His breathing was heavy.
Ferocious noises echoed through the walls. He curled into a ball. The window all of a sudden cracked. A stream of cold air swept into the room.
He hid under the bed. He woke up but how? He realised with alleviation that it was just a dream. The boy was so relieved. The wind was howling through the window.
A gush of air screamed through a crack in the wall. The boy's ears crippled from a great clap of thunder. The dream was coming to life! He heard an echo rumbling through the walls. It sounded like laughs of anger. He was a poor, lonely boy sitting in an eerie, dim room. The blackness of the gloom horrified the scared boy. The thick darkness loomed.
His heart pounded. The hairs stood stiffly on the back of his neck. His body was overcome with a great trepidation that rose to such an extent that he could taste it. It was freezing. He could see his breath puff out of his mouth like a mad, raging hurricane. He shivered and his body trembled, but not because of the cold. His fright was unknown to him. His body was engulfed with a source of great fear. So much fear he couldn't move.
A single tear droplet ran down from his eye in a wet pond of apprehension that froze on his cheek. He wanted to shout, holler or scream but his voice was trapped in his throat. The terrified boy tried to slam his eyes shut with great force in an attempt to go to sleep. Squeezing them tight, he opened his eyes ever so slightly.
A glint of sunshine rose out of the clouds. A glimmer of sparkling hope flamed in the boy's heart. He smiled. The curve on his face answered a lot of questions. The boy in the bedroom would be free! A black cloud that looked like a hand dimmed out the sun. The wind grew stronger. The gloomy night continued to stalk the boy's thoughts.
A fierce wind blew.....

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!