The First Clue

One night when I had just finished work, I was watching television in my room when my phone rang. I walked over and answered, “Hello.” In a low voice someone said, “Mary, you have been a bad person to me, but I’m willing to give you a second chance.” “Who’s this and what do you mean a second chance?” He answered back with a laugh, “I couldn’t possible tell you my name that will destroy the fun, but do as I say and nothing will go wrong.”
“And if I don’t?”
“Then face the consequences, your first task is not to tell the police!” He hung up on a crazy note. I called the police thinking what a whole lot of rubbish. I told them everything. They said I shouldn’t be worried. I hung up and went to sleep.
Saturday 8:00a.m I had finished breakfast and getting ready to go for a walk since Saturdays were my day off. Before I left my phone rang, “Hi dad how are you?” I could hear my dad crying on the other end of the phone, “Your mother, is missing, when I woke up she wasn’t in bed.” I closed my door saying, “Has she gone for a walk, has she gone to work? He replied, “Honey my battery is going flat and I can’t charge it because they took my phone charger and...” The phone went flat and I wanted to know who did this? My phone rang again and the number appeared from the man last night, I answered while crying, “What have you done to my mum!” He answered in a calm voice, “I told you not to tell the police but you did anyway.” “I'm sorry just tell me where she is.” He said, “Do as I say and you will find her, go into the coffee shop down town and wait there.” He hung up and I did as he said. I waited no longer than two minutes when my phone rang again. “If you want to know where your mother is you will have to listen to this riddle carefully. When I eat I survive but when I drink I will die.” The phone hung up. I wasn’t very good at riddles so it took me a while. When I was still thinking the newsflash appeared about a bush fire had just started. Then it hit me the answer was fire that’s where my mother is. I ran to the car and I was off. When I reached there I could see heaps of black smoke. I ran into the bush yelling out, “Mum where are you?” I then saw a small hut and when I walked up to it I saw my mother inside unconscious. I picked her up and put her in my car. As I was driving to the hospital my phone rang. “You have completed the first clue can you finish the rest?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!