Opinions And Changes

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

I walked through the dappled light of the forest under soft shadows. If you looked upward, you’d see a series of mottled greens and yellows, along with the occasional bird. If you looked down, you’d see an army of tattered brown and red leaves, symbolising the commencement of Autumn. I didn’t want to look after Jemima Finch on my Saturday mornings, but then again, I didn’t have a choice. Eventually, the forest spread out into an open field. I crossed it, and came to an enormous house. I walked towards the smooth concrete steps of the big house. I considered turning back, but I could already hear happy scurrying footsteps even before I had placed a finger on their dainty little doorbell.
I pressed it, and in two seconds flat, the heavy door opened. I straightened down my K-mart skirt. But it was not Jemima who answered the doorbell, it was Mrs. Finch.
Mrs. Finch had a quaint elegance about her. Her vocabulary was ever-extending. Her skin was the same colour as boiled egg shell. She was overwhelmingly tall, and her hair was always piled on the top of her head in a bun so tight that the top of her forehead was fresh-paper white.
Mrs. Finch raised one eyebrow, questioningly, causing a few hairs to pop off her head and spring into their naturally curly form. I could see Jemima’s cheeky freckled face peek through one of the numerous windows.
“May I help you?” Mrs. Finch inquired.
“I’ve come to take care of Jemima,” I replied. Mrs. Finch pursed her lips.
“You’re the ‘Blakely’ girl I gather?
“Yes, Tia Blakely.”
Mrs. Finch led me in. Through a maze of corridors, past several doors and up two flights of stairs, until we came to a particularly unsophisticated door with the letter ‘J’ and lots of love-hearts on it.
“She’s in her room. I’ll be in the garden for a few hours if you need me.” I watched her walk away and then knocked on the door. A little face appeared at my waist, and before I knew it, I was enveloped in a tight hug.
For a couple of hours, we passed the time doing animal related jigsaw-puzzles, playing charades, and reading. Something outside caught my eye. I was alarmed to see Mrs. Finch still outside in the garden. I checked my watch. 11:32. Three hours! I take little Jemima’s hand. I could see that Mrs. Finch was trying to use the shovel to plant a waiting tree, but she was using it like a child. She swung it over her head and bashed it on the ground. After three more tries, I went over to her and grasped the shovel with her. To my utter surprise, she didn’t flinch. I guided her wordlessly, and sliced into the ground. We buried the tree, Jemima, Mrs. Finch and I, and that is how this story ends; three different people, each with different hopes and anxieties, patting down a potential-filled tree.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!