Jeneis Reborn

“Hello!” I called as my voice echoed off the empty walls of the village of Grodlyair. I walked cautiously a few more steps.
“BOO!” My two best friends jumped out from behind a brown clay wall.
“Hi Mia, Hi Con! For a second I thought you two had bailed on me.” I said with a laugh.
“Shhh!” Mia instructed, “The Guard is coming this way.”

We all made hast and hid under Mr. Smorge’s cabbage wagon which really stunk like… well… cabbage (and dead rats)! No one ever told Mr. Smorge because he too smelt like dead rat cabbage.

The guard in the jet black armour marched passed whistling the Gypsy Rover and into the nearest tavern. We crept out of hiding place and back into the early morning sun. We slowly entered the deathly woods.

The day seemed to go on and on and on but nightfall was nearly upon us. We hadn’t seen or heard any sign of wildlife which was unusual because every time we went hunting we would usually find something by midday and be back by early afternoon, sold our meat at the markets and be home by sun down.

Mia’s dagger, my arrows and Con’s spear all shimmered in the sunset.

“I brought some bread. Who wants some?” Con said interrupting the haunting silence.
“Where did you get that? It must have cost a whole deer!” Mia exclaimed.
“It cost one deer and two foxes” Con corrected.
“Can we have some”? Mia and I said in unison. Con handed us a piece each and we all gobbled it up at once.
“I think we should go home now.” Mia said sadly.
“Look!” I cried, “That tree… I read about it once… I think that’s the tree of Jeneis. He was a powerful man who could move things with his mind, fly and turn invisible. He protected our village. Look inside.” I said.

The others agreed and we all went to the humongous oak tree. The opening was easy to find because it was a bit of the wood had been shaped as an arch. Con pushed on it and it came open as if it was a normal door. Inside was a small room (because the tree was so big) with five small glasses and a sign that read:
2 poison
1 Flying
1 Mind
1 Invisible
What will it be?

“How creepy” Mia said.
“Choose!” said a deep voice, coming from above “You will die if you don’t!”
We all stood in fright.
”NOW!” the voice instructed. We all moved towards the cups and cautiously drank with fear.


We all woke up in the outskirts of the village.
“What- How- Did that just happen?” Con said confused.
“I don’t know. Let’s get home.” I said.
All at once, Con disappeared into thin air, Mia started floating and I, Sarah Finttion, moved my rucksack with my mind!
“WOW!” I exclaimed.
And that was how Jeneis’ powers had come to protect Grodlyair once again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!