Impact Of Global Warming

Finalist in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Jordan, a steam train driver, finished his shift and came home. He was taking a hot shower for at least 45 minutes. He then turned on the heater and left it running while he was cooking a roast in the oven. The lights in the room were turned on while he was watching the television. Jordan was minding his own business because he didn’t know the effect of turning on so many electrical devices. Jordan didn’t know how his actions were affecting the world.
One day when Jordan came back from work he realised there was no hot water, his heater wasn’t working, his oven, lights and television weren’t working as well. When he attempted to find a reason why the electrical devices were not working a shadow appeared in front of him. He thought it was a thief trying to steal all his belongings. However, it was a scientist called Doctor Albert Einstein. Albert Einstein informed him of the impact of turning on all of the electrical devices. Albert Einstein said “Did you know the impact on the earth when you turn on all those electrical devices?” Jordan answered no. “Well electricity is powered by coal which generates the highest carbon dioxide emission into the atmosphere and that causes global warming to increase. The impact of global warming is a sudden change in climate, temperature and the melting of Arctic ice are some of the effects. If human beings continue to use things that emit carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and if too much pollution comes into the air, the ozone layer will deteriorate further” replied Doctor Albert Einstein. “So... if I continue in the current rate of switching on all these electrical devices too long it causes sudden change in climate and temperature? My actions are affecting the melting of the Arctic ice. The pollution is breaking the ozone layer?” exclaimed Jordan.
“Yes”, replied the doctor. “So what can I do to stop emitting carbon dioxide into the air?” asked Jordan. “Well first of all don’t take long showers. Secondly, don’t turn on the heater and leave it running. Thirdly, don’t turn on all the lights while you’re doing other activities”.
“So I need to stop doing what I’m doing right now and try to reduce my activities which results in emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and causes global warming” said Jordan. “You can reduce the emission of greenhouse gas into the atmosphere by using bio fuels, solar energy and using energy efficient products like light bulbs".
Enlightened by Dr Einstein, Jordan went and got a new job as a solar consultant where he encouraged people to get solar panels to power their house. He gave lectures to schools and universities about the impact of global warming. He persuaded them to use green energy so that is saves the environment. His continued actions to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions were successful.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!