Zombie Apocalypse

I woke up. My head ached. ‘No one home,’ I thought.
I got up, got dressed and rode into town. Normally on Sundays, it’s full of laughter. Now not even the birds sang. I rode up to Azura’s house.
‘Open the door!’ I heard someone shout. They burst out and dragged me inside. ‘Be quiet’ they whispered. ‘Why?’ I whispered back. ‘Because otherwise we are dead’ they said. The leader of the group stepped forward. ‘Make sure she isn’t infected’ he said. ‘Infected? WHAT?’ I said. ‘QUIET!’ he said.
‘Where’s Azura? Who are you people? What did you mean by infected?’
‘You sure have missed a lot then, kid.’
‘Let’s start from the start then.’
‘A normal Sunday in Tumbarumba, all seemed well, then the birds stopped singing and something burst out of the trees. Twelve seconds. Only twelve seconds.’
‘Twelve seconds until what?’
‘Twelve seconds until you’re dead.’
‘Oh.’
‘Very little lost their lives, then we found out that the things only infected people. Now few people are still alive. That friend that you were talking about, Azura was it?’
‘Yes, that’s her, is she alive?’
‘Barely, her mum and sister were infected. She’s locked in her bedroom.’
‘Let her out,’ I said so cold that the house creaked as if trying to scream.
‘We can’t do that, not yet any way. We have no way of telling if she’s infected or not.’
‘Then let me in,’ I said in the same cold tone.’
‘Fine, but if she is infected, you will be too’ he said, obviously trying to change my mind.
He unlocked the door. Azura was sitting in the corner, rocking ever so gently as if trying sleep.
‘Oh Azura, what have they done?’
Her head shot up and she said, ‘Ana they’re gone, all gone, no one left, all gone.’
I went over and sat beside her then we both heard a scream. ‘RUN!’
I got Azura to sit up and I pushed her in and just as the door closed, something smashed down the door. It looked around and screamed so loud, that I didn’t even dare blink. Then we heard a gunshot. It ran out and screamed again. I dragged Azura out of the cupboard. ‘Sit here, I’ll go and get some food.’ ‘Ok,’ she said. I packed the food into a bag, grabbed some clothes and took Azura outside. ‘Where are we going?’ she said confused.
And I simply replied, ‘Away where we can be safe.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!