Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground

I felt heavy.
I woke up gasping for air inside what felt like a coffin. I was numb and could not feel anything. My body was coated with a dense substance that filled the coffin halfway. I was confused and felt very cold. My heart was palpitating. I tried to calm myself and attempted to recollect memories of how I got trapped in here, but I could not do it. My senses recovered a few moments later, the substance was gooey, the putrid smell made my nose sting tremendously that it made me tear up. I tried pushing the coffin open but it would not budge. The fear of death stabbed my mind. My skinny body shivered relentlessly. I started to lose consciousness. All of a sudden the coffin opened, opening slowly while emitting a steam hissing sound. A surge of relief rushed through my aching and quivering body.
Escaping was the only thing on my mind. I did not care if anyone was waiting, fear got the best of me. So, I jumped out without hesitation. I fractured my nose when I landed face first on the hard concrete floor. I slowly stood up in pain and wiped away most of the sticky blue slime and blood, from my frozen face, coughing up chunks of it with a disgusted look on my face as if I had eaten a wet and sour earwax.
The coffin was not what I thought it was, it was a time capsule. On the side of the capsule was a screen, it read: ‘Damian Torsky – Status: Awakened’. Through the collapsed roof, I saw the dark afternoon sky. A droplet of water hit my face; it had started to rain. Fragments of the roof were on top of the capsules, destroying some. While advancing to the exit, I recognised something that caused an already distressing scene to become worse. On every capsule read: ‘Status: Dead’.
Everyone…dead. The place gave me an uneasy feeling and so I dashed to the door. Corridors were trashed. Walls were demolished and vandalised. I was freezing, anything that will keep me warm would suffice, as I had only a white singlet and white nylon shorts. This place was a mess. I went outside hoping to find somebody who would assist me.
My heart sank when I stepped out of the building as I saw something that I would never forget. The city was deserted. Noiseless. Buildings were destroyed and the streets were empty, the roads leading into the darkness beyond. I sat down with feelings of despair on the footsteps, thinking to myself in the rain.
There was nothing left. No family. No friends. No purpose. No life.
A few days has passed and I had sank deeper and deeper into depression. My sadness was like sitting in a dark corner while screaming my lungs out; crying out to God, for freedom, from this dreadful pain in my heart.
I softly said to myself with confusion and disappointment, “Why?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!