Water

Water

Adrenaline rushed through my veins. I cleared my mind of all doubts I had about this. “We’re here.” announced the pilot. “Cool!” I said. “Okay, stand up,” the microphone blared “Get ready.” The pilot put the helicopter into hover mode. “Where’s my parachu-“I mumbled, “Think fast?” He answered gleefully. He shoved backwards and out of the open door my life flashed before me but before it finished I slammed into the ground. CRUNCH! “Oooh” I whispered. Slumping on my side, I blanked out.

My instinct when I woke up was to find water instantly, but when I moved, cold water slid over my back. But something deep down was growing. Pain. “ARGH!” The sound came out of my mouth instantly. I realised that the water I fell broke my fall, and my back. I drifted through the water silently, listening to the birds chirp. I saw a bank nearby. I doggy paddled towards it. Suddenly the world around grew with strength. Something reared up behind me. I turned around as an instinct. Stupid me, I thought. I turned back before I got a chance to see what it was. I struggled to the shore, but not stopping at all. Whatever chased had stopped because it probably would have caught me. I heaved myself to the shore, sighing with pain, I slept.

I got up the next day, and crawled to the water and slurped as much up as I could hold. I spotted a small bush; I rushed to it, plucked off a berry and popped in my mouth. Strawberry, I thought. For the next while I sat picking them and chomping them. While I was sitting there, I was struggling to remember how long it takes to heal a broken back. Then it hit me. 8 to 10 weeks with a brace. “N-n-n-no.” I stammered. I shuffled into a sleep.

When I woke I heard voices coming through the forest. I couldn’t hear what they were saying. I stretched out and crawled to try and hear them. Then someone broke into the clearing behind me. “I’ve found him!” the young man shouted behind him. “What’s happened?” I said. He looked at me and said; “You’ve been lost for ten days, son, the whole world is looking.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!