Fear

Fear, an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain or harm. Mum had always said that her kind of fear was the one that kept her in reality. I guess it was because of her brother John, whom had passed away months ago. Uncle John and I had always been close, we'd always go to the park on Sundays, laughing at my two younger brothers Aiden and Louis scoot around the playground whilst Uncle John and I ate our ice creams. I smile at the little memory.
But everything you could say has changed, Aiden, Louis and I don't go to the park anymore, in fact I haven't seen Mum since the police came to our door step three months ago, when Uncle John had been shot during a police raid in Greenwich. "John Fisher was a brave man, who was committed to the police department with honour and grace, he was there for his family and friends, as well as us. Rest in peace John, you will be forever in our hearts" Captain Rogers repeats in my head.
I walk down the corridor of our almost abandoned home, where pictures of Uncle John, Mum, the boys and I hang off the white walls. My favourite photo is of Uncle John and I. It was my graduation day at the Greenwich Police Academy where Uncle John had trained and where I would follow in his footsteps. He was an idol to me, I wanted to be like him, I wanted to be his successor if one would say, and I did it.
As a police officer I go around Greenwich protecting civilians and allow justice into our streets. A daily job, which I enjoy very much but today was different. I am doing my daily patrol alone. I make my way down Pluto Avenue when Sargent Kate interferes my mute two-way radio. "Run away on Tim Highway, licence plate GR1266 driving in a green sedan. All near police vehicles report to that area." Stepping on the accelerator, I flip on my siren and take a left towards the maniac drivers' last known location. I spot the sedan heading towards Ada Street. as I follow close behind, my sirens blaring the sedan declines to pull over. I continue to follow him out of town, we go on until he finally pulls over. I walk over to the sedan where the driver is already out of the car, but with a gun. The creep bellows and says to me "Just like your Uncle, funny thing is your gonna die like him."
Gunshots could be heard for miles away, as I'm left to bleed on the abandoned highway. with two bullets in my chest and the thought of Mums fear how it kept her in reality. Fear is caused by pain, the fear is only how you are going to die.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!