Flames Of War

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Streaks of sunlight shone through the glassless windows of the Royal Palace. King Ragn wrapped his dark-red tail around the soft, velvet cushions of his throne. Guards wearing bulky armour stood glaring at others. King Ragn was in a thoughtful mood. I don’t need their help, but they’re so dedicated. They’re as they should be, or their heads would be mounted on spikes. He peered outside the window. Five full moons … it’s the night of the event. The so called ‘dragon revolution’ and ‘end of the war’. The King narrowed his eyes. The event was the mythical prophecy that spoke of the end of the Dragon-Human war. Ragn glared at the floor. This war will not cease until the entire human race is eradicated.
In a cave far away from the palace, a silver egg lay in the ferns. It twinkled and shone even though it had no light. It rocked and swayed, as a young dragon tried to get out.
CRACK!
With a sudden, splintering sound, a pale white head cracked through. A Sky Dweller pup. It squeaked and squawked, unfurling tiny, silver wings. A male. Shaking his head, he tried to dry his sodden mane, but instead tripped over his own feet. With a yawn, he realised he was alone.
“Awrk?” he called quietly. “Awrk?” he called, a bit louder.
“Mummy?”
The word echoed throughout the valley. Ragn’s head shot up. A pup with no mother. Why does that chill me so much? Could it be the start of the event? No, that can’t be it. Can it? A growl begun in his throat until it became a furious roar. It fits all of the criteria. A pup with no parents? Five moons? I’ve been as blind as a wretched mole. A complete fool. Prophecies are never wrong, and here I am, gawking like an idiot.
“Guards!” bellowed Ragn furiously. “Go out and kill any pups with no parents. Leave none alive, got it?!” The guards gave each other dubious looks until one spoke up.
“Your Majesty, it’s the Night of Lucidity. The effect of the moons shields any newborn pups. We can’t.” Ragn hissed in frustration and fury. He couldn’t kill anyone now. That’s why the event is on this particular night; because no one can stop the prophecy. Someone is going to be killed very soon.
The tyrant king flared his wings and flew out, surprising his guards. He flew out furiously, looking for it himself. Perhaps I could convince the pup to do my bidding. Or force him to.
King Ragn rumbled with amusement. As if, Ragn.
The Dark Fire Drake winged through the mountains and surrounding territory. Why do I even bother? I can’t kill him so I won’t bother. No pup shall stop this war. No pup can. I AM ALL POWERFUL.
MORE THAN SOME PATHETIC PUP.
THIS WAR WILL LAST.
THE WAR OF FLAMES SHALL NEVER CEASE.
NEVER.
NO DRAGON WILL STOP ME UNTIL ALL HUMANS ARE DEAD OR ENSLAVED.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!