What Now?

The chill nipped at the traumatic form humped in the snow. As dusk fell all around; remorse set in like a solid brick. As the figure began to rouse from a troubled sleep, the reality of blunder hit.
"Clara! Clara! Over here!" Thomas cried out to his four year old sister who stammered over on two puggy legs, giggling with delight at the fun of it. It had always been their little secret game.

One pinch of worm fat
Three coins from a dead man's pocket
Two teaspoons of wishful thinking
Two threads of a seamstress cotton who desired to sew
Just one sip and mum and dad will never know

Peering through the haze he saw forms gliding closer in the mist. It suddenly dawned like the sun each morning. It was a constant replay in his mind, what had he done? The recipe had always been the same, what had he done different this time? Struggling to his feet, calling out the child who had just skipped past. It was Clara the day before, she was gathering thing; ingredients. No reply came for she neither saw nor heard him. No longer was his fate up to him, his foolishness had already decided. He was imperceptible. A sudden movement and flash of light revealed itself through the trees, captured his eye. He saw two formations, male and female bending over a pot; both laughing and giggling uncontrollably. They both lifted something to their mouths until... everything went black. Not one sound or motion of light or life was suggested. Disgrace ate at his insides, a head reached in and grabbed his heart, squeezing until he could not breathe. Where was Clara...

Falling to his knees in defeat he began to shake with fear, what had he done? Not had he only left himself to waste away in time but his sister also. She did not deserve this, she deserved all the happiness the world could offer. What had she done to deserve this...and no one to be with her. It was his job to look after her and make sure that nothing happened from the day their parents died and now he had failed. What would they think of him now?

Something reached out and grasped his hand through the darkness. Something small and soft, offering encouragement yet trembling at the same time.
"Tommy, Tommy? I'm scared." Thomas jumped at the sound of a small fearful voice that reached his eat through the darkness. Thomas swung on his heel to face his small, scared baby sister. What Now?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!