Happiness Restored

The ground ahead was lit by the moon above, as shooting stars littered the sky.

“I wish this dream never had to end.” Said the brunette, with contentment evident on her face. She walked through the lush green grass, soft on her bare feet, as she stared at the sky.

She knew the dream had to end eventually, because her life at home was nothing like here, with the city lights blocking the stars from view, and fog killing the plants before they could grow, her dull school topping it all off. So she decided to enjoy the dream while she could.

She awoke, expecting to find herself back in her bed at her apartment complex, with prison blue wallpaper staring at her.

Instead, she awoke to find herself on a lush bed of grass, with the bright blue sky above her and the rustling of leaves as the wind blew around her gently.

"I must still be dreaming." She thought to herself, as she stood up, unable to comprehend why she was still here. She started inspecting her surroundings. There was lush green grass all around her, and a crystal clear pond with brightly coloured fish swimming around not too far off. Tall evergreen trees grew as far as the eye could see, and the sky was a radiant blue, with bright white clouds, wispy from the gentle wind. The sun beamed down, gently warming her.

She looked down, feeling something rub against her jeans, finding a small tabby cat with white paws and muzzle, nuzzling her gently as it purred softly. The girl’s heart melted at the sight. She had never been allowed a pet. Her mother always said that she would be kicked out of her apartment if she ever had one. The young child had always dreamt of having a cat ever since, waiting for the day she could have her own home and buy a pet, even if it was just a budgie. The girl smiled softly as she looked down at the tabby feline and said sweetly, “Hi there little kitten! Whats your name? Mine is Ebony!”

She looked for a collar, but found nothing on the kitten’s neck. She decided to try find it’s owner. But remembering she was in the middle of a vast forest, she decided to keep it, thinking that the owner had given it up, and abandoned it here.

“I know! I will call you Forest!” She exclaimed excitedly as she stroked it, and Forest purred.

It was a week later when Ebony decided that this wasn’t a dream, and that she was never getting home. She decided to make the most of it, by catching fish for food, building fires for warmth, and making a leafy home. One night, as she was drifting off to sleep, she said, “You know what, Forest? I’m starting to like it here!”

She snuggled up to the kitten, happy with her new life in the wild, smiling contentedly.

~The End~

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!