Majora

The moon shined high above the sky, the town’s center was bustling with activity, a young boy sat staring up at the clock tower, transfixed by its size and power over the town.
The doors below it slowly slid open, the massive oak walls that were the doors creaked but nobody payed it any attention, except the little boy. A small fidgety creature walked forward from behind the creaking barrier, its clothes were of grass and it held a crumbling hat atop its head, but none of this bothered the boy, it was the mask hiding its face that held his attention. Its large unblinking eyes that stared into the hearts of whoever was unlucky enough to be gazed upon and spikes that seemed to be moving without wind nor motion to push it.
Two faint lights flew from behind the opening and hovered next to him. The creature staggered into the crowd as disembodied voices whispered to him. His head snapped to odd angles and he quickly pulled a flute from a hidden pocket,
Heads started to turn, the child stared at the unnerving eyes as they moved from person to person, staring into their souls, into their beliefs, into their ignorance.
The eyes fell upon the bemused child, he lowered the flute, snapping his head and moved towards him. The crowd looked on, transfixed, unsure whether they should interfere.
The creature stopped at the child’s feet, gazed at him, examining him, the boy kept his eyes on the mask, he didn’t trust it, no, he couldn’t trust it.
Everything was still,
The creature started to shake, it started with his arms then it slowly took over his body, he grunted, he looked as if he was in pain, like someone was dragging nails along his back.
His face turned up to the sky,
A scream pierced the ears of the town,
Now everyone’s undivided attention was focused on the scene,
A massive grinding noise came from above the clouds,
Shopkeepers and patrons alike looked up trying to find what was causing it,
The clouds slowly parted,
The boy stayed staring at the mask’s unnatural eyes,
The moon could be seen from behind the parting clouds,
It was turning…

Everyone was asking each other if they could see what was happening, if what they saw was real,
But still the boy looked at the mask and the screaming child who was wearing it,
There was something on the moon, something that was turning to face everyone,
Finally the boy glanced up, for the suspense was too much, and was greeted by a creeping smile with a large pointed nose and two yellow menacing eyes, the same eyes that curse the mask.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!