The Monster Learns His Lesson

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

Deep in a jungle there was a Monkey. He was happy when he played with his friend Tiger. Monkey liked going on long strolls in the jungle on Tiger’s soft, stripy back. Tiger liked watching Monkey swing from vine to vine. Monkey would curl his tail tightly around the vines and stretch his arms out wide to grip himself to the next vine. Tiger loved watching him do tricks off the vine.
At sunset they both liked to bathe under a sparkling waterfall. They enjoyed listening to the sound of the water crashing against the rocks. It would spray them cool. Behind the waterfall was a secret cave. It was home to a selfish Monster. He was cross-eyed, had wiry hairs hanging from his nose, a food tangled rough beard, yellow pointy teeth, turned-out knees and wrinkled toes. The Monster had a dotty brownish, orange and blue pet Snake.
Monkey and Tiger didn’t like the Monster or neither his Snake. They didn’t like the Monster because he was mean to them by bragging about their size and how his muscles were bigger and stronger than Monkey’s and Tiger’s. He also bragged about that he was cooler than them. They didn’t like his Snake because when he hissed at them they could see his razor sharp, pointy fangs.
One sunny, bright day the Monster and his Snake strode beside the lake. Spying from the lake was a sneaky crocodile. He peered hungrily at the Monster’s chubby legs. He pondered if it would be a juicy meal. The crocodile camouflaged himself amongst the reeds. He got ready to pounce on his lunch. He sprang out of the water and bit the Monster on his leg.
Snake slithered into the deep jungle to look for help. He only found Tiger and Monkey. They were happily playing when Snake anxiously shouted out for help. Monkey and Tiger could hear in his voice how frightened he was. Snake quickly explained to Monkey and Tiger what had happened. They both knew snake needed help, but Tiger angrily told snake they wouldn’t help because they had teased the animals all the time.
But then Monkey quietly told Tiger that if they help Monster he might be nice to them. Monkey also thought if they were in trouble they would want someone to help them. Monkey grabbed Snake from the ground and jumped onto Tiger’s back. Tiger raced over to the lake where Monster was. He roared angrily at the crocodile. The crocodile sprinted back under the water. Monkey sprung off Tiger and grabbed some leaves and wove them into a bandage for Monster.
Monster finally realised that he should be nice to Tiger and Monkey. Now from that day on, the four friends played together and at night ate dinner with Monster and Snake.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!