Warzone

Excellence Award in the 'Read Write Repeat 2015' competition

It was 1916 and one boy named Billy has just started year seven. This is his story.
It was a normal day at school boring as ever. The trenches had been dug and the shelters had been built. We knew the emergency procedures but nothing could ever prepare me for what happened next.
The next day was rough, I was bullied all day. But suddenly BANG! I woke up in the school grounds. I hear people moaning, they were hurt. I saw my best friend Latrell screaming he was hurt. I was torn. The alarms were ringing. Should I help him or get to the trenches. I quickly made a decision, get him. I dragged him to cover. He was in agony. I looked up enemy troops were quickly closing in.
I looked over, the P.E Teacher, Mr. Maxworthy was crouching next to me. I had a plan. Mr. Maxworthy was a strong guy. I told him we should wait till they get here and play dead then we should have a shot at getting one of their weapons.
It was easier said than done. It took them a while to get to us. Then we sprung, in the struggle Mr Maxworthy got hurt, but we won. I was a good shot. I had practice shooting roos near the creek with my dad. I took aim, but suddenly realised they were only a few years older than me. I felt so sorry for them but I had to do it for the sake of everyone here. To get me through, I just kept repeating, “He’ll kill me, he’ll kill me.”
Bang! I shot. “He’s dead,” I mumbled. I was sad, that poor kid, what if that was me. Bang! A shot was fired back. “AAAH!” I felt a blistering pain in my arm. I was bleeding horribly. I needed serious medical help fast.
I blanked out. I looked around. There were more troops coming but they were different, they were Aussies and Kiwis they were here to help. They approached us like long awaited angels. I remember being in a truck. They did the best they can to patch me up.
Next, I was unsure of, but I remember one thing, sitting in the hospital bed thinking what a horrible day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!