The First Landings

Being in the tiny, dingy cell-like cubicle at that time of night was a bad choice. No-one in their right mind would visit Mowbray Park at night, yet there I was. Of course, relying on such an aged bulb to illuminate the grotesque chamber (maintenance crew haven’t touched this place for years) was a bad idea, and when I finally found my previously abandoned wallet, a sizzling popping sound should have told me to get out; but it was already too late. With a last and final crackle the bulb blew, raining me in a small shower of glass shards.
Oh well, I thought after a minute of fumbling for the door. At least I didn’t lose my wallet. POP! What was tha- CRASH! PSSSH-BANG! All around me lamp-posts were exploding, or to be precise, the bulbs were. And then I realised, that it wasn’t just the lamp posts exploding. Across the river, the city of Brisbane was situated. At first it looked like it always had; the colourful city lights glowing like otherworldly fireflies. But soon I realised something was wrong. A swift wave of darkness proceeded to smother the lights until it was only an extension of the inky black sky. The bulbs were bursting there too! By now, the whole City, even the Story Bridge and the headlights of peak hour traffic had been reduced to mere silhouettes against the non-existent moonlight.
A shiver ran across my spine. It was already a cold night, but it seemed as though a bitter wind was whipping up, and I was determined to get home before it became worse. However, the weather had other plans and I had hardly gone five steps when the breeze blew to a feisty gale, and a light shower of rain added to my onslaught of unbelievably bad luck. Diving for the nearest bus stop, I cursed my dressing choice. Well I guess my coat was warm while it was still dry, but now that was sopping wet. Oh, and not to mention I was wearing the summer blouse and tight navy skirt my work had provided. These too, had little resistance against the ever-growing chill.
A sudden decline of the wind and rain alerted me, and the moon came out from behind the clouds, offering me a little visibility. But as soon as this happened, I wished it hadn’t. Although my eyes weren’t fully adjusted to the sudden change in light, I could still see an ominous black, triangular thing descending onto the central gazebo, crushing the structure and the picnic table below.
What had landed?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!