Haunted Grave Yard

You may wonder why my best friend, Rhys, and I were in the old graveyard late at night.
I shivered as I thought about what we were doing. Wind howled through the trees and pale streaks of lightning cracked the sky.
"Hurry Rhys" I whispered, hugging myself as the moon disappeared behind the clouds, "It’s going to storm!" "I am hurrying Dale!" Rhys said, "But the ground...it’s really hard."
We were digging a grave, we took turns. One of us shovelled while the other stood lookout.
I felt cold raindrops on my forehead. I kept my eyes on the low picket fence near the street, nothing moved. The only sounds were the scrapes of the shovel in the dirt and a drum roll of thunder, deep but far away. Across from me, an old gravestone made a creaking sound as it tilted in the wind. I sucked in my breath; I suddenly pictured the old stone toppling over, and someone crawling out from the grave beneath it.
Okay, okay. I have a wild imagination. Everyone knows that about me. My dad says I'll either be a writer or a crazy person. He thinks that's really funny. Sometimes having a strong imagination is a good thing. And sometimes it just makes things more scary. Like tonight.
Rhys stopped shovelling to wipe the sweat from his forehead. Raindrops pattered on the blanket of the dead leaves on the ground. "Dale does this look deep enough?" he asked in a hoarse whisper. I glanced at the at the glass coffin on the ground. "Keep digging, we have to totally cover it," I said. I turned back to the street. It was late and the neighbourhood stood dark and still, but what if someone drove by and saw us?
How could we explain the grave we were digging. Rhys groaned and dug the shovel blade into the dirt. The dead leaves crackled. I held my ear and listened, Footsteps, Someone creeping quickly through the leaves towards us.
"Rhys" I whispered.
Then I saw them, huddled low, moving in a line.
Raccoon's. A pack of them, little eyes glowing. The black fur on their faces made the little creatures look like they were wearing masks.
Then they attack us from all angles we then fall into the grave we dug and someone buried us alive so we took one last breath.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!