Pandora's Box


Here I am, standing in my apartment; with a package on the table labelled ‘Fragile’ with a small print below it that reads ‘do not open’. Curiously I decide to rip it open; the sight burns my eye sockets, leaving me with a million scenarios darting through my mind. There before me, lies the biggest pile of diamonds I have ever seen, I thought this stuff was only existent in the movies.
My phone vibrates in my pocket and freaks the hell out of me, my boss is calling. I answer and mumble the word ‘hello’, he replies with ‘Joe? Is that you? I left a package at your apartment I need you to deliver it to an old acquaintance of mine by 8 o’clock on the dot, he’ll be waiting at the abandoned subway station just past the bar, don’t open the package or your head will be on a silver platter!’ he hangs up, leaving me shivering thinking of how they’re going to torture me when they find out I opened the package.
I decide to drive there, the drive is slow and frightening; my daydreams turn into dark and gritty trances as visions of my boss holding me at gunpoint are the only things I can think about. Eventually I reach my destination and see a single man ready to accept his gift. I get out, he walks up to me and asks for the package, I hesitate to answer which causes him to pull a gun on me; instantaneously I hit the gun out of his hand and go for a head-butt but get stopped by a blade penetrating my gut. Falling to my knees I look him in the eyes and he stares back with a look of fright on his face then proceeds to raid my car and run off with the package. I struggle to get up but manage to make it all the way to the driver seat of my car, I drive myself to a hospital and collapse just outside the front door I see a bunch of people in surgical clothing run out and come pick me up off the ground just before I blackout.
The next thing I know I’m in a hospital bed with 13 stitches on my abdomen and a text from my boss saying ‘Nice wrapping skills :) , I hope you’ve had a fun time on earth because it’s about to end buddy!’, The hospital blacks out, gunshots echo through the whole building. I hear footsteps but can’t see anything, a hand covers my mouth and a blade comes to my neck the unknown man whispers in my ear ‘Goodbye Joey, you always were among the best.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!