Washed Up

The sea breeze was harsh that evening. I looked outside to see rain harshly hitting the deck. The town spoke about an enormous storm coming in a few weeks; I thought maybe this was just the start. When it rains in Newport Beach, the whole city sleeps. Everyone stays inside watching DVD’s and snuggles up on the couch. Not me. I surf. Heavy rain means heavy waves. It’s the best time to surf. I grabbed my board, put on my swimsuit and ran down to the shore. Before I entered the boisterous waves, I strapped my leg rope around my ankle and stood still for a moment, inhaling the sweet smell of the rain and the salty sea current. I ran out with a smile on my face but on the inside a small burst of terror lingered. Knowing that these waves are some of the most dangerous always made me somewhat nervous.

Although the conditions were unpleasant and the waves were frightening, I still came out of them alive. And happy. As I walked out of the sea, I noticed a trail. So being curious, I wrapped myself in my towel and followed the marks. It continued a few metres up the shore. It ended at a small hole at the start of my deck. I hadn’t noticed it before. I kneeled down to take a look inside, only to find three baby sea turtles. All three of the babies were huddled up on top of each other. I couldn’t see a mother anywhere. I suspected that the trail I followed would have been from the mother.

I went back inside knowing I would revisit the nest, hoping to care for the baby sea turtles. I had a shower and put on my favorite hooded jacket with a pair of snug, black leggings. While I waited for the rain to settle, I set up an enclosure for the baby sea turtles. I used to own pet fish, I kept the tank in hope of getting more but I never had enough time. I googled for hours, “How to build a sea turtle enclosure in a fish tank”, “Can you build a baby sea turtle enclosure out of a fish tank”. I found what I was looking for and the first thing I had to do was make a trip to the pet store and buy what was suggested. I got home from the pet store with all my supplies. I was excited. I had always admired sea turtles. They seem so placid and majestic. I had set up the tank on a chest of drawers in the dining room, and made sure all the care products were nearby. I looked out of the sliding door to see if the rain had ended. I walked out onto the damp deck, and as I looked out into the distance, I saw the 3 baby sea turtles making their way out to sea. I felt betrayed, but proud.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!