That One Night

"Happy birthday!" We all sang to the young girl. The setting's happy. The walls of the small cottage have a beautiful pine scent as the burning wood gives off another pleasant aroma.
“Ok Lyra. Blow out the candles.” Says the girl's mother softly.
“Ok mommy.” Lyra blows out the 5 candles as everyone cheers. The young girl was given an oversized sweater, a teddy bear, and different sweets. Then it was my turn.
“Here Lyra. This is a special necklace. Now I need you to promise me that you will keep this on. It will protect you for as long as you live. Promise me that you will keep it.” I explain as the girl looks at the little pendant in her hands. She nods gratefully as her tiny arms grasp my neck.

As the hug faded and she loosens her grip on me, something cracked outside.
“What was that?” Questions Janice.
“I don't know.” Orion states. I look out the window to see skeleton like masked men with wands out at the ready.
“Death eaters. Gomesia. Take Lyra upstairs and lock the door. NOW!” I yell as she takes Lyra upstairs, slamming the door.
“We need to protect my wife and my daughter at all cost.” Peter comments. “So Orion. Can you take the left side of the cabin? The one closest to the river.” Orion nods. “Janice I need you to take the right side, opposite Orion. Terra I need you to take to back closest to the shed. I'll take the front.” We all go to our stations.
“Terra…” Orion grabs my hand and pull me back to his side. “Are you alright? It's a full…” I push my finger to his lip.
“I'm alright. If changing is the only way to protect my Godchild then I will die for her.” I walk away to my position and am greeted by five death eaters. My wand at the ready.
“Leave this house alone.” I call as they face me.
“What makes you think that we will?” Questions one snobbishly.
“Because I'm guarding it.” As soon as I say that the moon appears from the clouds. My eyes turn a deep shade of yellow with my fangs and claws appearing.

I get to work with protecting the house and keeping them captive until I hear...
“TERRA!” The screaming came from upstairs as I run around the right side to find my old friend Janice dead on the floor. I wait only mere seconds until I'm greeted by the dead body of Peter at the front. I run upstairs with haste and find Gomesia's dead body on the ground. Her skin pale and her eyes lifeless. Lyra, crying over her mother’s corpse looks to me with pain in her eyes. She sees my monstrous appearance and asks me my name. I grab her without any resentment from her. She holds onto me, crying intently into my fur and leaving the people she loved. Leaving the life she knew forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!